Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Interesting analogy, re: summer jobs  (Read 2926 times)

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
Interesting analogy, re: summer jobs
« on: April 29, 2009, 09:23:02 AM »
One of my former professors, who is also an attorney, wrote a LOC for me.  The other day, I sent him an e-mail just catching up and asking for advice, and he sent a response that (I thought) was full of valuable information.  One of the things he wrote about was an analogy between summer associate positions and picks in sports drafts- I just thought I'd share for those interested.

Knowing a little bit now about how firms hire, at my old firm years ago, we'd always ask ourselves, for example, why someone from such and such a place would want to come settle in CITY X.  If we couldn't figure out a reason, then we wouldn't bother to interview them.  It's the same reason why teams have to think twice about trading away quality young players or draft picks for a player that they know they can't sign to come back for next year.  The mega firms might have lots of clerkships, but the smaller firms just have one or two.  We can't blow them on people who will work for a summer then seek permanent employment elsewhere.  We'd really have to be in a must-win pennant race in terms of needing top-notch clerk work now to justify hiring a summer associate who was headed to different places later.       

Maybe various people have already made this same comparison, but I thought it was a worthwhile insight from someone who would know what they were talking about.  It underscores the importance of emphasizing why you want to work for a firm when going through the application process.
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Interesting analogy, re: summer jobs
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 09:50:47 AM »
Well its more than just why you want to work there, but what ties you have to that city. Is your only reason to bethere is if you get a job? Expect this in any midsized market if your coming from out of state, or if your instate for law school only. There is a real regional bias to hiring in midmarket that does not exist in larger markets (NYC, DC, LA, SF etc.)
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 02:09:52 PM »
Even large firms in relatively large markets often care a good deal.

A good number of my interviews practically grilled me on why I wanted to come to their city. One firm (which shall remain nameless) practically gave me the hot lights and truth-serum treatment even though I had perfectly good and honest ties to the region.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 02:41:28 PM »
That's so true.  I was surprised at how insular the Chicago market is.  I had a tough time just getting an internship there.  A lot of the firms I called just said, "Sorry, we only hire from local schools."
Fed gov't atty

happycamper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 12:24:33 PM »
Even large firms in relatively large markets often care a good deal.

A good number of my interviews practically grilled me on why I wanted to come to their city. One firm (which shall remain nameless) practically gave me the hot lights and truth-serum treatment even though I had perfectly good and honest ties to the region.

oooh, care to give examples of what they said?

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 02:24:07 PM »
Very true.  This is when it comes in handy having moved a lot as a child, having gone to college in 4 different states, and having extended family around the country :)