Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Former gang member...What are my chances?  (Read 10001 times)

nde78

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Former gang member...What are my chances?
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 11:51:50 AM »
FL does not turn down all felons.  If your civil rights have not been restored, you are not eligible for admission to the FL Bar.  I personally investigated convicted felons who were admitted to the Bar in FL.  The Board considers several things including the nature of the offense, age during the commission of the crime, and what the person has been doing since the conviction.  The Board considers the total person.  Not all felonies are violent.  If you are convicted of driving with a suspended license habitual in FL, that is a felony.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 03:54:45 PM »
So if someone was convicted in a state that never restores full civil rights, then they could never get licensed in FL?
Example, michigan restores voting and foodstamps right upon release but keep the jury to jury duty permenantly removed so that you cant apply for restoration of gun rights due to the lack of "full" restoration of civil rights.

FL does not turn down all felons.  If your civil rights have not been restored, you are not eligible for admission to the FL Bar.  I personally investigated convicted felons who were admitted to the Bar in FL.  The Board considers several things including the nature of the offense, age during the commission of the crime, and what the person has been doing since the conviction.  The Board considers the total person.  Not all felonies are violent.  If you are convicted of driving with a suspended license habitual in FL, that is a felony.

nde78

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 03:18:12 AM »
You know, I'm now a parole examiner here in FL and one of my duties is to conduct investigations for restoration of civil rights.  If you reside in Fl and were convicted of a felony in another state, military, or federal court, you must apply to have your rights restored in FL.  FL is one of maybe 5 states in which civil rights are not automatically restored upon the completion of the sentence.  This does not  include the right to possess a firearm, which is a different application.  There is a huge backlog of pending applications for the restoration of civil rights in FL. My advice to anyone who plans to get admitted to the FL Bar and has a felony conviction is to apply to have your rights restored ASAP.

wayne3alford

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2010, 02:25:25 AM »
You have a great chance ahead.....Bright one!!

trudawg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 05:56:25 PM »
yes congrats to you for you story and your ambition. I too had a troubled and checkered past. I was up front, honest and provided every piece of paperwork the court could muster up, and I too am attending law school as a young black male that once was on the wrong track.
It can be done!

nde78

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 02:57:47 AM »
Have you applied to have your rights restored in FL?  I can't stress how urgent your need to apply is.  There is a backlog of over 700,000 cases for restoration of civil rights and depending on the nature of your conviction, you could be waiting for years for your case to be processed. 

nde78

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 07:19:58 PM »
Correction, there is a backlog of over 80,000 cases for restoration of civil rights in FL. You can read the July 2010 report found the on teh FL Parole Commission website. 

Done Did It Already

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 05:24:22 AM »
I would advise you to giving serious thought about your chances to be found morally fit to practice law. I can tell you that if you are thinking about Georgia, the Bar Examiners love to exclude those with a history of violence. I had a classmate that had a record and wasn't allowed to sit for the bar in Georgia.

REALITY

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 11:02:05 AM »
So? F the state then. ABA lets you sit ANY district and territory. Just apply to all untill one takes you.
Better to be a lawyer in Guam than a janitor in BFE Georgia.

I would advise you to giving serious thought about your chances to be found morally fit to practice law. I can tell you that if you are thinking about Georgia, the Bar Examiners love to exclude those with a history of violence. I had a classmate that had a record and wasn't allowed to sit for the bar in Georgia.

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 03:14:58 PM »
Everyone has heard this story already, I don't think they should provide any leniency to minorities for being minorities. It is stupid and is more self-defeating (ideally) than actual improvement on the system. You being a former gang member is your own problem, don't make it seem like something else. Who cares about the choices you made? You weren't born into gang life, you chose it out of your volition, and your friend being sentenced to jail with no parole was his problem. No one cares about your life story. What, are you going to say you will help other kids with problems? Give me a break.