Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Former gang member...What are my chances?  (Read 9934 times)

chris.rod84

• View Profile
    • Email
Former gang member...What are my chances?
« on: April 29, 2009, 01:52:11 AM »
2010 Graduate Poli Sci

URM - mom from sierra leone, west africa/ dad jamaican with portugese descent (never met father)
will be first college grad in family. 

3.0-3.1 GPA at graduation if I maintain current pace of straight A's. (Upward Trend-two straight years of all A's. 0.73 GPA after freshman year)

167 LSAT - Shooting for 171-172 on retake

Compelling Personal Statement and LOR's.  Former gang member/been stabbed in torsow/ scars to prove it. Not proud of it, just stating the facts.  Left gang and decided to attend college at 22 yrs. old after best friend was sentenced to 18 years in prison (fed time-no parole).  REALLY turned my life around

Started a youth mentorship program here in Atlanta....My Brother's Keeper which links underprivileged black males with black male college students.

I'm shooting for T-14. HYS and other top of the heap schools etc.

What are my chances?

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Former gang member...What are my chances?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 11:59:34 AM »
Any school you want...esp. the Ivy League...they love to admit people like you. check the record, it's true. There are many stories of former gang members or convicts getting their "second chances at life" through Harvard, Yale or Cornell Law.

Even schools like Michigan love to admit someone like that every year, especially if they are Black or other URM. It keeps up their image of promoting a pluralistic society...and they get their free pub through Ebony Magazine, 20/20, etc. 

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 01:41:08 PM »
2010 Graduate Poli Sci

URM - mom from sierra leone, west africa/ dad jamaican with portugese descent (never met father)

3.0-3.1 GPA at graduation if I maintain current pace of straight A's. (Upward Trend-two straight years of all A's. 0.73 GPA after freshman year)

Compelling Personal Statement and LOR's.  Former gang member/been stabbed in torsow/ scars to prove it. Not proud of it, just stating the facts.  Left gang and decided to attend college at 22 yrs. old after best friend was sentenced to 18 years in prison (fed time-no parole).  REALLY turned my life around

Started a youth mentorship program here in Atlanta....My Brother's Keeper which links underprivileged black males with black male college students.

What are my chances?

There's a lot of shooting in this thread.

lol.

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
2010 Graduate Poli Sci

What are my chances?

lol.

It speaks volumes of you clowns' character in regard to denigrating the OP. This brotha' is shooting to do somthing positive for his community in lieu of the previous polar choice. The whole act of concieving an idea in your mind is akin to shooting for a thing, at one point we have all shot for a thing, and will continue to shoot. Talk about unconscionable. And law dog you should know better considering the fact that you're a black man; you of all people should know much kudos the OP deserves for turning his life around. I apologize for you (LawDog) on behalf of all black people.
"We have all met that type-- know-it-alls in our society who appoint themselves as infallible experts, but who actually know very little." - Ben Carson M.D.

Denny Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 06:13:58 PM »
2010 Graduate Poli Sci

What are my chances?

If you have any convictions/run ins with the law, be upfront about them.  Law Schools tend to favor URM's and if you can write a compelling essay and back it up with the numbers (which look pretty decent), you will get into law school.  Take a shot - there is no harm in applying to HYS etc.
Good luck.  It's nice to see it when someone turns their challenging life into something positive!

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 07:13:14 PM »
2010 Graduate Poli Sci

What are my chances?

If you have any convictions/run ins with the law, be upfront about them.  Law Schools tend to favor URM's and if you can write a compelling essay and back it up with the numbers (which look pretty decent), you will get into law school.  Take a shot - there is no harm in applying to HYS etc.
Good luck.  It's nice to see it when someone turns their challenging life into something positive!

Correction...law schools tend to "seek out QUALIFIED URM's", especially those with good stories. Being a URM in itself guarantees nothing.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 07:15:44 PM »
2010 Graduate Poli Sci

What are my chances?

lol.

It speaks volumes of you clowns' character in regard to denigrating the OP. This brotha' is shooting to do somthing positive for his community in lieu of the previous polar choice. The whole act of concieving an idea in your mind is akin to shooting for a thing, at one point we have all shot for a thing, and will continue to shoot. Talk about unconscionable. And law dog you should know better considering the fact that you're a black man; you of all people should know much kudos the OP deserves for turning his life around. I apologize for you (LawDog) on behalf of all black people.

I appreciate you supporting the OP, but don't you think you are being a bit too sensitive? Come on man, you know good and well I am down. You aren't counting me in that group, are you? I advised him to push forward. If I was a hater, I wouldn't have done that. And if I did not say it before, I am extremely proud of him for turning his life around. My bad for not saying that up front...I thought it was redundant b/c of my advice.

It was just a joke, and if Steve Harvey, Jamie Fox and Chris Rock can joke about aspects of gang bangin', it should not be that big of a deal. But I'll say this, everyone does need to give OP his due respect.I wish my cousins would have realized that they, too, could have been lawyers.

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 07:49:56 PM »
I think you have pretty good chances especially if you get that retake score. Much respect for turning your life around and trying to pass the knowlegde to others.
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 09:25:31 PM »
2010 Graduate Poli Sci

What are my chances?

A TRUE Gunner
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 10:10:09 PM »
You should be fine; I know an individual who scored a 156 and was admitted into HLS. Keep your head up, nobody in LSD is on any admissions commitee.
"We have all met that type-- know-it-alls in our society who appoint themselves as infallible experts, but who actually know very little." - Ben Carson M.D.