Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bad Grades  (Read 1162 times)

LAorNY

• View Profile
    • Email
Bad Grades
« on: April 28, 2009, 11:59:23 PM »
During my freshman year of college both of my parents lost their jobs, and in order for us to keep our house I had to get a full time job. (I took the real estate licensee exam and sold property). Anyways, my grades suffered mightily, and I was kicked out fro academic disqualification. After taking a semester off to work full time without any distraction and after my parents found work, I enrolled in a JC maintained a 3.3 gpa and transferred back to my University. I have since maintained a gpa over 3, but my LSAC gpa will probably only be around 2.8ish when I apply this fall. Do I explain this is an essay of some sort? Or do I just let my grades speak for them self? Some people have told me to not bring the issue up in my apps. Any advice? thanks in advance...

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Grades
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 12:10:12 AM »
it's called a "gpa addendum"

you should definitely write one explaining this for schools which are target/reach...

it definitely can't hurt you as long as you take some responsibility and don't come off sounding completely like "hey, it's not my fault!"

LAorNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 12:12:30 AM »
it's called a "gpa addendum"

you should definitely write one explaining this for schools which are target/reach...

it definitely can't hurt you as long as you take some responsibility and don't come off sounding completely like "hey, it's not my fault!"

Do I write a specific addendum for each school or do I include the same one in all my apps? I'm not very familiar with the process...thanks again...

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 12:25:38 AM »
schools which are your "safeties" shouldn't need one, but i don't see how it can really hurt...it should only boost your standing with them.

either tailor the statement to each school, possibly saying how you don't want to let this setback early in your college career keep you from experiencing all the benefits of XYZ school... or just include the same one.  it's really up to you.

LAorNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 12:42:31 AM »
thanks