Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Legal internship instead of law clerk position for 2L summer? Will it look bad?  (Read 1918 times)

Salamon26

• View Profile
Obviously the market isn't doing too great now, but I may have the opportunity to get a "legal internship" for the summer at a large company, doing transactional stuff but not pleadings/motions/memos.  What worries me is the position is open to both undergraduate upperclassmen and law students, which makes me wonder how substantive the legal work would be if undergrads are also allowed to be interns.

Should I just take my chances and keep looking for a clerk job this summer, or would a legal internship at a large well known company still look alright on a resume? I'm just worried that it will look like I wasted my 2L summer if I do not work as a law clerk? Thanks.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
It sounds to me like the distinction is largely semantic. If you are doing legal work, you are doing legal work.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
Sorry to say, but it's kind of late in the game to be picky, isn't it? 
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

Salamon26

• View Profile
Sorry to say, but it's kind of late in the game to be picky, isn't it? 

well there are still new postings everyday on Symplicity for law clerk positions, and they aren't slowing down.  This position is also unpaid. If I commit to this since it is an internship and tied to school, I can't leave if I find a paying clerk position (most of the symplicity listings each day are for paid clerk positions at small firms).

The other option would be to try my luck and keep applying to symplicty listings after finals are done in about 2 weeks, but the downside to that is that leaves open the possibility of not finding any kind of job, even an unpaid one.  Even the firms offering unpaid clerk positions are still interviewing tons of people which makes it competitive.   But due to the constant posting of new clerks wanted listings on symplicity I still feel like I have a shot to find something even post finals?

Any yes it is late in the game I'd say, but firms did not start posting summer clerk positions in mass amount on symplicity until about a month ago, and I have had interviews but no bites yet, so I've really only gave this about a month so far.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
Well I guess it depends on how risk-averse you are.  I don't think anyone would hold it against you if you took the legal internship.  But that's just speculation on my part.
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

Salamon26

• View Profile
Well I guess it depends on how risk-averse you are.  I don't think anyone would hold it against you if you took the legal internship.  But that's just speculation on my part.

What is the situation like on symplicity for summer jobs at other schools? I go to a top 100 and like I said, I'm sure every firm that puts a symplicity listing up gets spammed with a hundred of so applicants from my school.  But like I said, the fact that new clerk postings are popping up at least 1 a day on average, and the vast majority of these are paying, it keeps me somewhat optimistic.  What is the symplicity situation at other schools like right about now?