Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

I have a low GPA (2.2) is there no chance for me getting into any law schools?

GPA
 0 (0%)
Low GPA
 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 08, 2009, 05:09:48 PM

Author Topic: Low GPA- 2.2  (Read 21151 times)

afrolaw

• View Profile
Low GPA- 2.2
« on: April 28, 2009, 05:09:48 PM »
I am taking the LSAT in either June or September (most likely September since I would want to study more for it). I will be graduating next month with a 2.2 GPA. I really want to go to law school and am afraid that I have no shot!

I am Spanish and I don't know if some law schools will take that into consideration (I've been told that some schools do take that into consideration). Also throughout my college years I have been through so many struggles, even when I was in High School and was a witness of the September 11th attack (my high school was only a block away).

Another question I guess.. do you know anyone with my GPA and an okay LSAT score that has been accepted to any law schools? If so which law schools?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Low GPA- 2.2
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 08:17:15 PM »
You could still do OK if you knocked the LSAT out of the park. I would rather have a 2.2/175 than a 3.8 and a 145.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

SwampFox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 08:29:27 PM »
Agreed.

Lucide

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 07:02:50 AM »
Sounds like things have been really tough for you. And don't worry, I think admissions will understand that your GPA is low because you were close to a  plane crash in high school. And maybe you'll get a break for being Spanish, also. Use the victim angle really strongly in your personal statement. It should help your chances.

nile

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 10:02:31 PM »
I tutor in the NYC area. I have helped many students like you do well enough on their LSATs to even get scholarships. If interested ,e-mail me at tug56@aol.com.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 10:23:05 PM »
Sounds like things have been really tough for you. And don't worry, I think admissions will understand that your GPA is low because you were close to a  plane crash in high school. And maybe you'll get a break for being Spanish, also. Use the victim angle really strongly in your personal statement. It should help your chances.

Strongly disagree.  The process is numbers driven.  There is no benevolent interpretations, ever.  I promise you that *no* law school will consider high school trauma to explain away four years of highly substandard work.  2.2 is atrociously low and no addendum could possibly serve to mitigate this.

When it comes down to it, A) schools don't give a *&^% about your addendum.  School desire the highest medians possible to help them in the rankings game.  If you can't help them, they can't help you.  B) Schools are only concerned about your ability to succeed.  Being a victim paints you as sympathetic, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you're an intelligent capable student.  There's is no humanly way possible which you could say "My 2.2 would be a 3.9 if only...." 

That said:

The only way you could possibly demonstrate that your GPA is that low is with a stellar LSAT.  Get a 175 and lots of schools will be willing to take a chance on you.  It'll demonstrate that you have a mind for this sort of work and that you will at least boost one of the two medians.  You must nail the LSAT.

But don't for a minute think that if you score the median at a law school, that they will accept you because your GPA was affected by lots of mitigating factors.  They won't.  Your LSAT must be significantly higher than the median.  And even then, only a fraction of schools will care.

Last thought:  This may not be fair to you.  You may be a lot more capable than your GPA would suggest.  You may have a very compelling story.  That said, this won't matter to nearly 90%+ of the schools which you apply to; whether it's fair or not is completely inconsequential - only what reality is.  And the reality is, your GPA is going to kill your applications.  You must score very high on the LSAT to get a sniff at a decent law school

/tough reality

Gruitza

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 11:31:04 PM »
I am going to have to disagree with Mr cash...Yes, it is numbers driven in terms of acceptance; however even with a 2.2 you can still get into plenty of lower ranked law schools if your willing to take the plunge at a tier 4. I highly doubt that you were suggesting that you wanted acceptance in a top 100 school.. If you can get at least a 155 on the lsat and are willing to travel or relocate for the opportunity to study law there are some schools that would most likely give you a shot. check out Cooley in MI, Appalachian in VA, Barry in Orlando FL, or use the GPA/LSAT index link on the lsac website to see what other options may work for you. There are way too many pessimistic and arrogant people who post on this site. They feel that if you don't go to a highly regarded school that you are wasting your time and money. If you are serious about pursuing a legal education and willing to shell out the cash without scholarship at a low level law school than I say go for it! I don't mean to offend anyone for trying to be honest but i call em how I see em.. ::)

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 11:39:23 PM »
I am going to have to disagree with Mr cash...Yes, it is numbers driven in terms of acceptance; however even with a 2.2 you can still get into plenty of lower ranked law schools if your willing to take the plunge at a tier 4. I highly doubt that you were suggesting that you wanted acceptance in a top 100 school.. If you can get at least a 155 on the lsat and are willing to travel or relocate for the opportunity to study law there are some schools that would most likely give you a shot. check out Cooley in MI, Appalachian in VA, Barry in Orlando FL, or use the GPA/LSAT index link on the lsac website to see what other options may work for you. There are way too many pessimistic and arrogant people who post on this site. They feel that if you don't go to a highly regarded school that you are wasting your time and money. If you are serious about pursuing a legal education and willing to shell out the cash without scholarship at a low level law school than I say go for it! I don't mean to offend anyone for trying to be honest but i call em how I see em.. ::)

I'm not saying that the op can't get into a lowly regarded tier 4 school.  He can do this with a mid to high-150's LSAT.  *sigh*  But that's a piss poor idea.

I have a problem with one part of what you said: the bolded.  Why does one have to be arrogant to advocate not going to a decent law school?  May of these tier 4 schools, like you mention, mandate forced attrition.  Thus, even after two years of law school and 150K later, they might boot you.  No degree, but huge loans.  How in the world is this an acceptable risk?  Many others get their degree yet are completely unemployable.  With 200K debt.  This isn't being arrogant, this is acknowledging the significant risk involved. 

Moreover, you qualify your statement by mentioning "and willing to shell out the cash" like this is nothing.  What's the worst that can happen?  Unserviceable debt? 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 04:12:54 AM »
What level of school are you willing to attend? With a 155, you can probably get somewhere like Barry, John Marshall - ATL, or Southern. With a 165, you could open a lot of doors into the T3 and some bottom T2s, and you might be able to fluke your way into a really good school that wants your LSAT.

And if you get anything around a 150 or less, yeah, you're probably staying home.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Gruitza

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 10:05:26 AM »
JR,

It isn't our place or our role to be financial advisers or career counselors. The original question was simply whether or not one can gain entry to law school with a 2.2. The answer is  yes. I just don't see why it is necessary to pepper someone with pessimism or "tough realities". We don't know the applicant or their potential for success as a student (GPA aside)and should not assume that they wont have success in the job market. Each and every one of us runs the risk of failing out and the difficult task of finding a lucrative job once we graduate. I personally know a gentleman who is a partner in one of the largest firms in ohio. He is also a partner in a firm in Tallahassee Fl, and consequently makes well over 300k a year. This guy graduated from Ohio Northern Law (tier 4). The risk of choosing a lower school should be up to the applicant. They are the only ones who are really aware of their capacity for success a student. Yes, it can be a gamble; however I cant imagine that in the long a jurist doctorate degree will hurt anyone ;)

By the way, Im a huge Johnny Cash fan! especially his stuff with the highwaymen!

( I just cant resist a good debate)