Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JAG questions  (Read 646 times)

abethcop

• View Profile
JAG questions
« on: April 28, 2009, 03:02:44 PM »
I have been considering the possibility of JAG, but am not sure if it would be the right choice, so I thought I would seek out some insight. 

Firstly, from my reading it seems that JAG mostly deals with criminal cases.  I know that this is a pretty big thing and needed on bases, but are you pretty much locked into doing criminal law?  For the most part, I am not really into this part of the law.

Secondly, I am married and very supportive of my wife's education goals.  Entering into active duty and moving around seems like that would squash any aspirations she might have, is this the case or are there ways in which she would be able to pursue her higher education while I serve?

These are my main questions, I have an idea of what the life might be like and I do also know that different branches of the military have different policies.  If anyone has any good information I would appreciate it, or if I need to be more direct and clear, please let me know.

Thanks!
Incoming Lewis & Clark 1L

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: JAG questions
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 03:23:35 PM »
I applied for AF JAG as a 1L.  There are probably better informed members around, but:

1) Almost all of your "court" work will be criminal.  At the base I visited, AFJAGs also had legal aid time where they answered random legal questions and drafted an occasional will.
2) A few things, don't mention your wife's goals on your app.  My interviewer told me that mentioning my SOs career on my base selection sheet was virtually an auto-ding.  Gotta sell them that you are dedicated to the service first, everything else second.  Other than that, if you are lucky enough to be stationed near a university - she could take classes there.  Otherwise, online school.

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 03:34:43 PM »
The Army is really good about having even graduate-level programs available to personnel and spouses at every base.  Even when we were in Iraq, you could go take the LSAT/MCAT/GRE in Kuwait.
Proving there is redemption in this world...

Number81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 06:25:43 PM »
I applied for AF JAG as a 1L.  There are probably better informed members around, but:

1) Almost all of your "court" work will be criminal.  At the base I visited, AFJAGs also had legal aid time where they answered random legal questions and drafted an occasional will.
2) A few things, don't mention your wife's goals on your app.  My interviewer told me that mentioning my SOs career on my base selection sheet was virtually an auto-ding.  Gotta sell them that you are dedicated to the service first, everything else second.  Other than that, if you are lucky enough to be stationed near a university - she could take classes there.  Otherwise, online school.

Were you not selected?  Did you act like you cared in your interview?
I still don't understand how the hell these branches decide on who to take.  Apparently the selection rate is like 5%, but from what I gather it's only loosely based on merit.
Emory 2L
LSN

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 07:12:46 PM »

Were you not selected?  Did you act like you cared in your interview?
I still don't understand how the hell these branches decide on who to take.  Apparently the selection rate is like 5%, but from what I gather it's only loosely based on merit.

Not selected.  I acted like I cared, but I didn't approach the interview correctly.  Serious relationship + excessively entrepreneurial work experience = not something you talk about at a JAG interview.

I was lucky to not be selected though...