Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: did I fail my civ pro exam?  (Read 5158 times)

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: did I fail my civ pro exam?
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 03:30:54 PM »
I don't think time suggestions constitute rules - they are suggestions, and indications of the relative weight of the portions of the exam. These are the kinds of things you should notice at the beginning of the exam, at which time you can probably ask that the professor be contacted for clarification. I just have a really hard time seeing how this is particularly unfair, or problematic to the point that it should be challenged. Everyone had the same instructions and the same suggestions. If it is really such an issue, then I don't think it's unreasonable to presume that many other students were impacted similarly, so (assuming a forced curve)...it shouldn't actually significantly impact grades.

I get that exams are high-stakes, particularly IN THIS ECONOMY, so I guess I can understand wanting to challenge it on the chance it helps, presuming anonymity is maintained. I just personally think it's whiny bull.

Yeah, fair enough, time allocations are suggestions but I still think it is worth a challenge. I think it is a little unfair that the professor would put questions on an exam that s/he doesn't expect could be done in 3 hours. Like I said, I think it is at least worth being brought to someone's attention. Although, I have never challenged rules myself.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 03:44:29 PM »
I agree that raising the issue of the time suggestions will be unproductive, at best.  And since it's all on a curve, it's hard to know how well you did.  It's perfectly possible that most people had the same issue.

Best to just see how it turns out rather than angsting about it.  :)
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 03:49:38 PM »
Cady is right, perhaps as usual.  On my Property exam, virtually everyone ran out of time for the third question.  People did fine, regardless.  It's a curve.

I would be worried only if everyone else got to the third question, and talks about their ample time in answering it.  Even then, I would be suspicious of what people say, and wouldn't let it affect me.

Also, let this be a lesson about taking time suggestions seriously; I make sure to take practice exams so I know how long it takes me to get through questions.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 06:16:30 PM »
I haven't read the entire thread, but need to respond to a person's suggestion that you email the professor.

DO NOT under any circumstances email the professor.  If you have a problem, go to the dean of students.  Your exam should be anonymous, and if you email the prof about any problems before grades are out, you may be violating the honor policy.

DCLabor25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 10:39:26 PM »
I just want to second the notion that you should try not to panic too much.  I know that's hard -- and if I was in your shoes, I would probably panic.  So, I am better at giving this advice than following it myself!  But the bottom line is that the grade will be on a curve and it's just impossible to know what your classmates did.  And that's all that matters.  It's entirely possible that they didn't write much more for this question 3 or that they missed a lot of stuff on the first two questions.  I agree that not writing much is usually not a wise strategy, but if you struggled a lot with the test and you knew the material, then its very possible that everybody else struggled too.

Last semester, the test where I was sure I failed ended up being my best grade.  The test where I thought I did great ended up being my worst one.  And I think a lot of law school students have had the same experience......

lawtransfer22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »
While you shouldn't panic, you should be realistic. This is not a problem regarding your perception of how you did or whether you had a quality answer for the last question, it is a problem of not completing the exam. Have you talked to other students did they finish it or make substantial headway? If the majority did, you're probably in a bad spot. Fact is you gave away close to 1/3 of the possible points on the exam and meaning your max total is around 66-70% (if your first two answers where perfect, if you got say only 90% of the possible points on the 1st 2 you are looking at a max of about 59%) where even students who only got half the points on the last Q will be shooting for a max of 84%.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2009, 10:11:09 PM »
While you shouldn't panic, you should be realistic. This is not a problem regarding your perception of how you did or whether you had a quality answer for the last question, it is a problem of not completing the exam. Have you talked to other students did they finish it or make substantial headway? If the majority did, you're probably in a bad spot. Fact is you gave away close to 1/3 of the possible points on the exam and meaning your max total is around 66-70% (if your first two answers where perfect, if you got say only 90% of the possible points on the 1st 2 you are looking at a max of about 59%) where even students who only got half the points on the last Q will be shooting for a max of 84%.

You may have a good point, but this guy is talking about failing and asking about retaking classes.  If he is planning on an A, he might want to panic, But if he's okay with getting a  C, he's probably got a good shot.