Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Waitlist Question  (Read 598 times)

nick1986

• View Profile
Waitlist Question
« on: April 27, 2009, 05:21:30 PM »
Assuming that candidates applied at similar times...

Is it better to be placed on a waitlist earlier (lets say march/ begining of april) or later (end of april/may)? 

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Waitlist Question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 06:17:06 PM »
I think this really doesn't matter.  I think people who get WL'ed later tend to have stronger numbers considering the stiffening admission standards of rolling admissions; but everything being held constant, doesn't matter.  I would prefer later just so I don't have to write a LOCI or two during January or March.  I'd prefer to save my material for April and on.

blergh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 12:38:25 AM »
Really?  Yikes, I got one Waitlist from December, and still haven't heard back.  I also got another waitlist just this past month, and both schools are similarly ranked.  Would there be anything to assume from all this?

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 12:42:25 AM »
Really?  Yikes, I got one Waitlist from December, and still haven't heard back.  I also got another waitlist just this past month, and both schools are similarly ranked.  Would there be anything to assume from all this?

Have you written LOCI's or done anything to help your chances?

blergh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 01:38:15 AM »
Yes I've written LOCIs but still haven't heard anything =/

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 02:00:00 AM »
Yes I've written LOCIs but still haven't heard anything =/

WL's don't normallhy begin to move until early May.  Generally, they remain constant until schools have a better idea of how many initial seat deposits they receive.  This year schools are faced with particularly difficult to interpret matriculation projections.  In years past, most schools can rightfully assume that if scholarship money remains constant, a certain percentage of admits will choose to enroll.  However, this year is strange.  First, applications are down which is an oddity given the economic times.  However, there is also an expectation that a greater percentage of admits will enroll (opposed to waiting a year or taking a job instead) because of the economic climate.  So schools are having a tough time making an accurate projection.  So instead of immediately moving the WL's, schools are more likely to take a wait and see approach regarding who and how many people send in seat deposits.  So WL's haven't really moved.  That said, a lot of WL action occurs in June and other summer months.  So stay interested, express this interest, and be prepared to wait for long periods of time.