Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GMU  (Read 1197 times)

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

• View Profile
    • Email
GMU
« on: April 27, 2009, 12:31:04 PM »
Anybody have reliable info on what prospects would be for an out-of-state student interested in George Mason University Law? Economics and taxation are my areas of interest. I am looking for clerkships and internships on the way to Big Law. Thank you.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: GMU
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 08:19:07 PM »
I will answer my own question by saying I visited Arlington and was not impressed with GMU. In addition to flubbing my appointment time and date, the admission staff assigned the office manager, who was hard to understand and basically read a quick facts card to me and the other family. The office promotional literature was out-of-date and read "Fall 2007." The marketing was terrible. I had to tell myself what Mason's strengths are, because the staff didn't make it clear why I should go there.

Also, the school is situated on the fairly busy Fairfax Dr. in Arlington but there is no campus feel whatsoever. Moreover the $38k tuition for out-of-state students comes across as a shameless money-maker while in-state students get the $18k tuition. The "buildings" -- because it's not a campus -- feels small and not at all like a community. Academically I could pursue the exact same program elsewhere and thus have no remaining reason to attend.