Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question about legal career...?  (Read 2093 times)

Live Free or Die!

• View Profile
    • Email
Question about legal career...?
« on: April 27, 2009, 03:33:05 AM »
Let me start off by apologizing  :'( I know this is not the exact forum for this question but, its the closest one I could find.

I'm currently in my undergrad, finished up my generals, and am really interested in law school. I was originally majoring in Nursing but just got turned off by the clinical being that I prefer the office environment.  So hence I choose Law, it the other top choice. The problem is that I can't nail down the field that would be right for me. Some ideas that have come to me are:

Family Law -specifically, if the work is available, related to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) issues.  - No Biglaw that does Family that I could find.

Civil rights groups - One of my passions. (Read all major court decisions In re: LGBT Not trying to sound pompous I'm just interested) LGBT focus, but I have seen the salary some of the non-profit attorneys make. (No offense to any of you but, I can't survive comfortably on 30 - 45 K)     

Prosecutorial work - Would love to be an ADA. I feel this is what the law is all about. I like the hands on experience. Interned for the local D.A.

Medical related field: Almost done with nursing and have a 5-6 year credit on my medical science class's. Probably would take 1.5 - 2 years to get RN. 

-I'm kinda leaning towards Medicine (how much $$) or  prosecutorial. 

My Stats so far...
GPA 3.65
1st Practice LSAT 153
Numerous volunteer positions: Board member of local college, Student Director LGBT resources, Psychology Honor Society, HIV prevention group.   

Have any of you had experiences with these fields and how is it working out for you? or any advice to give?   

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Question about legal career...?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 08:18:43 AM »
Um, you're going to have to get more specific about what kind of advice you're looking for.  At this point, the only thing that I have to say is to work on getting that LSAT up.  I don't know what else you're looking for.  ???
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 09:25:47 AM »
It sounds like you would be more passionate about advocacy and/or public interest-oriented work, but you want a decent salary.  You could always try to work for a firm that values pro bono work and do as much of that as you can take on.  You could also work for a small firm that does family law.  Associates at these firms usually make ample incomes. 

If you can't survive on 35-45K, you might want to rethink the criminal law route (at least the prosecutorial side..).  DAs make chump change. 

Try not to narrow the field too much before even entering law school.  You may find that you are more interested in certain opportunities once you understand the various legal fields more.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

Live Free or Die!

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 12:32:52 PM »
I am looking for advice on what specialty, of the ones I mentioned,  won't consume my entire life but still ensure I make around 70-80k.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 12:36:21 PM »
There are no guarantees in life, especially financial ones.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 12:39:13 PM »
There are too many variables to consider.  Get into a law school, get back your 1L grades, consider the economy at the time, and then pose this question.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 01:08:48 PM »
I am looking for advice on what specialty, of the ones I mentioned,  won't consume my entire life but still ensure I make around 70-80k.

Are we talking entry-level or ten years after graduating?
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 06:11:16 PM »
You could make 70-80k doing family law (probably not right away, but after several years). You would likely have to do a lot of non LGBT stuff to get experience and make ends meet- especially getting established.

Public interest / advocacy  stuff isn't going to pay well. That's just the nature of the business.

ADA could also get you into the 70-80k range after a few years. Starting pay would likely be about 50k.

Pay attention to potential debt loads as well. 50k with no debt is a lot more spending money than 80k and 150k debt.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?