Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How well will a Police Officer do going to law school?  (Read 8053 times)

rnobles

• View Profile
    • Email
How well will a Police Officer do going to law school?
« on: April 26, 2009, 09:41:52 PM »
I am 28 and have 3 yrs of police experience and 6 yrs corrections. I am currently a soph at Sam Houston State University and major in Criminal Justice with a 3.2 GPA. The have classes there that helps "pre law" students in preparing them for law school. My question is by the time I get my undergrad and apply for law school, I will probably 32, what scholarships will be available for someone my age? What classes should my electives be to better help my prepare law school. How will my previous experience help my? Thanks and God Speed!

rnobles

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How well will a Police Officer do going to law school?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 03:04:28 PM »
Well I found out Kaplan is giving a practice LSAT Friday near where I live. I am gonna take it just to see where I stand. Wish me Luck!

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 12:05:35 AM »
Well I found out Kaplan is giving a practice LSAT Friday near where I live. I am gonna take it just to see where I stand. Wish me Luck!

I'd highly recommend taking an LSAT preparation course. Your score, more than your experience or your undergraduate grades and courses, will determine where you get in and whether they'll give you ducats.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 06:20:33 AM »
I am 28 and have 3 yrs of police experience and 6 yrs corrections. I am currently a soph at Sam Houston State University and major in Criminal Justice with a 3.2 GPA. The have classes there that helps "pre law" students in preparing them for law school. My question is by the time I get my undergrad and apply for law school, I will probably 32, what scholarships will be available for someone my age? What classes should my electives be to better help my prepare law school. How will my previous experience help my? Thanks and God Speed!

Philosophy and economics.
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

SwampFox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 10:39:33 PM »
If you do find a scholarship for non-traditional students, it'll be the first one I've ever heard of.  Lord knows there are scholarships for every other demographic, hobby, or personality tick.

rnobles

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 11:48:04 PM »
What are ducats?

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 12:29:29 AM »
I am 28 and have 3 yrs of police experience and 6 yrs corrections.

While the LSAT and the GPA often determines admission and scholarships, your crim. justice experiences aren't bad "soft" factors (that may help at some schools).  However, 75% of admissions and scholarships are based primarily on the LSAT.  Study hard for it! 

A good website to see how important the LSAT is in law school admissions is lawschoolnumbers.com.  There, you can see people's "stats," where they were admitted, and what scholarships they received.  It can be a real eye-opener. 

I am currently a soph at Sam Houston State University and major in Criminal Justice with a 3.2 GPA. The have classes there that helps "pre law" students in preparing them for law school.

Sadly, "pre-law" students do the worst of any collegiate major on the LSAT, and criminal justice isn't far behind.  So I wouldn't rely on these classes to prepare you for law school.   

(And I'm not saying that to demean those majors or those people.  In fact, I was a CJ major, and I did fine on the LSAT.) 

My question is by the time I get my undergrad and apply for law school, I will probably 32, what scholarships will be available for someone my age? What classes should my electives be to better help my prepare law school. How will my previous experience help my? Thanks and God Speed!

While your age and experiences *may* help you on the margins, if you don't have an LSAT in a school's range they're probably not going to accept you.  That's the name of the game.

Also, as others stated, age is irrelevant for scholarships.

Good luck!

LegalMatters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 02:08:50 AM »
I go to school with a former police officer who is doing really well and is very involved in student life activities. Having a former police officer is a great asset to help keep perspective on theoretical v. practical realities of law. At least, in criminal law and procedure. There are a lot of former police officers-turned-lawyers and many of them don't go into criminal law - fresh start in the second career?