Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: just curious  (Read 2425 times)

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
Re: just curious
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 11:13:37 PM »
and what does splinter mean?

A splitter is someone who has a very high LSAT but a very low GPA.  And other things are taken into account, though the most important things are your LSAT and GPA.  Most law schools don't interview (Northwestern being the most notable exception).

And just to reiterate: you should be able to get into plenty of good programs with a 3.4/171.  Don't worry too much.  :)
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

tcwhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 11:56:48 PM »
See if you can get the school to remove the D. 

Even if the school "removes" the D through a program like "Academic Renewal", LSAC will still report it as a D. No way to get rid of it for LSAC.

Yes there is.

This is something continually espoused again and again and again on this board and it gets proven wrong again and again and again.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the LSAC's processes better before suggesting things with such certainty.

Not all schools do it; matter of fact, few schools do. 

When the LSAC site comes back online I'll update this post with the specifics of it.

she____atomizes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 12:47:52 AM »
do schools care about withdrawls?

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 01:28:09 AM »

Even if the school "removes" the D through a program like "Academic Renewal", LSAC will still report it as a D. No way to get rid of it for LSAC.

Yes there is.

This is something continually espoused again and again and again on this board and it gets proven wrong again and again and again.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the LSAC's processes better before suggesting things with such certainty.

When the LSAC site comes back online I'll update this post with the specifics of it.

Few schools do it? What does that mean? I'm saying what I know from dealing with LSAC, if there is something you know differently, spit it out.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

she____atomizes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 01:43:38 AM »
would it be worth it to stay in undergrad and extra year and raise my gpa to a 3.5/3.6 and then maybe retake my lsat for a higher score and maaaaaybbbe get accepted to Columbia Law School    :-\

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 01:48:06 AM »
would it be worth it to stay in undergrad and extra year and raise my gpa to a 3.5/3.6 and then maybe retake my lsat for a higher score and maaaaaybbbe get accepted to Columbia Law School    :-\

There's always the possibility that your GPA will go down, or that you'll get a lower score on the LSAT a second time around.  Are you willing to take that chance?  With a 3.4/171, you should already be set for some very good schools.  :)
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

tcwhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 07:54:10 PM »

Yes there is.

Few schools do it? What does that mean? I'm saying what I know from dealing with LSAC, if there is something you know differently, spit it out.

http://www.lsac.org/pdfs/InformationBookweb.pdf

Turn/Scroll to page 36.  Page should be titled US/Canadian Transcript Summarization.

Underneath the header: "Grades Excluded from Conversion"

"The original grade for a repeated course
when the transcript does not show both the
grade and the units for the original
attempt. The total number of credits
assigned to these grades will appear on the
applicant’s academic summary, but will not
be included in the GPA calculation. "

To further clarify, when I say few schools do it, I mean few schools have the process in place listed above when repeating courses.  Schools do it, but not many.

Satisfied?

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 08:14:52 PM »

Yes there is.

Turn/Scroll to page 36.  Page should be titled US/Canadian Transcript Summarization.

To further clarify, when I say few schools do it, I mean few schools have the process in place listed above when repeating courses.  Schools do it, but not many.

Well, I beleive the majority of institutions keep the original grade of a reported course ON the transcript. That doesnt mean that the grade is counted towards GPA for that school.

To be clear - I go to (insert school) and take Chem. twice. The first time I get a D. I repeat it and get an A. Now at this school, my A is counted towards my GPA and the D is not. BUT, the D still shows up on the transcript, and the LSAC counts it as a class I got a D in.

The information you provided says that only when a school's transcript "does not show both the grade and the units for the original attempt" will the grade not be counted.

As far as I know, most schools show every grade for every class you take. Now, whether or not those grades are calculated into your GPA for that school depends on if you've retaken that class, or done something like Academic Renewal. But LSAC doesnt care about either situation.

Satisfied?

With your attitude? No. If your attitude were a food, I would spit it out and make a sour looking face.
The situation is so severely limited that I think you should expect every class you complete to be counted towards your LSAC GPA, with the slight exceptions listed on that page. 

LSN

tcwhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 08:37:33 PM »

Yes there is.

Well, I beleive the majority of institutions keep the original grade of a reported course ON the transcript. That doesnt mean that the grade is counted towards GPA for that school.

To be clear - I go to (insert school) and take Chem. twice. The first time I get a D. I repeat it and get an A. Now at this school, my A is counted towards my GPA and the D is not. BUT, the D still shows up on the transcript, and the LSAC counts it as a class I got a D in.

Did I say most institutions have this policy? I specifically recall you pointing out few in my previous posts, so I'm going to stick by the fact I suggested "few" instead of "most."

If the grade remains on your transcript, LSAC will count it.  I'm not disputing this, nor do any of my other posts.

The information you provided says that only when a school's transcript "does not show both the grade and the units for the original attempt" will the grade not be counted.

As far as I know, most schools show every grade for every class you take. Now, whether or not those grades are calculated into your GPA for that school depends on if you've retaken that class, or done something like Academic Renewal. But LSAC doesnt care about either situation.

Again with this "most schools" nonsense when I said few.

The LSAC does care when there are two entries for a single course on a transcript, indicating that you took the class twice and took advantage of a policy that allows you to not only retake a course, but they will remove the grade and the course credits from the transcript so it basically looks like this:

ENGL 101 - 4 Credits - A+ Spring 2009
ENGL 101 - - Fall 2008

The original punitive grade is not taken into account in the LSDAS GPA Calculation according to the clear statemen: "...will not be included in the GPA calculation."

With your attitude? No. If your attitude were a food, I would spit it out and make a sour looking face.
The situation is so severely limited that I think you should expect every class you complete to be counted towards your LSAC GPA, with the slight exceptions listed on that page.

Listen, you can get in a fit about my attitude, but you are the one who made the mistake here.  You are the one who said, with no qualification, that there is "No way to get rid of it for LSAC."  I don't think it's terribly out of line to correct someone when they pass bad information with such authority. 

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 08:54:13 PM »

The LSAC does care when there are two entries for a single course on a transcript, indicating that you took the class twice and took advantage of a policy that allows you to not only retake a course, but they will remove the grade and the course credits from the transcript so it basically looks like this:

ENGL 101 - 4 Credits - A+ Spring 2009
ENGL 101 - - Fall 2008

Ok, forgetting the attitude thing.

What you said above is only true if "the transcript does not show both the grade and the units for the original attempt."

I can tell you that every repeated course from my transcript shows the grade and the number of units. It has a small designation next to it saying I repeated the course, but the grade & units are there. That's my point. I understand that the schools I went to do not represent all schools, but my argument was that if it shows up on the transcript, LSAC will calculate it. Now, if it shows up without the grade or number of units, then they will not count it.

I would love for someone to chime in & tell us that they repeated a course, and that their institution did not put either the grade or the number of units from the original course on their transcript. I would be interested to know what kind of school does that..i.e. community college, a certain state university system, etc.

At some point we're going to have to concentrate on the damage we've done to our friendship.

LSN