Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: just curious  (Read 2412 times)

she____atomizes

• View Profile
    • Email
just curious
« on: April 26, 2009, 03:42:01 PM »
hi everyone, i have recently decided that i am interested in attending law school. my first two years at college are nothing to brag about, but i will finish up with a 3.3 maybe a 3.4 ( i have a D in chem : (   ) and i got a 171 on my lsat. is it out of reach for me to even consider going to a tier one school? mostly im just worried about my first two years at college and now my final gpa being a bit low.

thanks for any advice

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: just curious
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 03:51:11 PM »
You will almost undoubtedly get into the majority of top-tier schools outside of the so-called T14.  If you actually get the 3.3 or 3.4, you will also likely get into one or more of the T14 if you are geographically flexible.  The most splitter-friendly T14 schools are Northwestern and GULC, with Michigan also showing some grace on occasion.  Other splitter-friendly schools in the top 30 or so include Indiana-Bloomington, Hastings, WUSTL, and Minnesota, where you might get nice scholarships. Check out lawschoolnumbers.com if you haven't yet.  Good luck!
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 04:14:12 PM »
See if you can get the school to remove the D. 

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 04:28:53 PM »

Even if the school "removes" the D through a program like "Academic Renewal", LSAC will still report it as a D. No way to get rid of it for LSAC.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

she____atomizes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 05:39:07 PM »
You will almost undoubtedly get into the majority of top-tier schools outside of the so-called T14.  If you actually get the 3.3 or 3.4, you will also likely get into one or more of the T14 if you are geographically flexible.  The most splitter-friendly T14 schools are Northwestern and GULC, with Michigan also showing some grace on occasion.  Other splitter-friendly schools in the top 30 or so include Indiana-Bloomington, Hastings, WUSTL, and Minnesota, where you might get nice scholarships. Check out lawschoolnumbers.com if you haven't yet.  Good luck!

would it be possible to get into ucla or berkley? and what about georgetown, duke, or cornell?

what does gulc adn wustl stand for?

thanks so much for your help

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 05:43:20 PM »

would it be possible to get into ucla or berkley? and what about georgetown, duke, or cornell?

what does gulc adn wustl stand for?

thanks so much for your help

Berkeley will be next to impossible.  They strongly favor high-GPA students.  UCLA is possible.  GULC=Georgetown, and you will very likely get in there.  Duke and Cornell are less splitter-friendly, but they have definitely admitted some splitters -- with a 3.4 you'd probably be in.  WUSTL=Washington University (Saint Louis).

I really do recommend looking at the data on lawschoolnumbers.com.  You can do a search of how people with, say 169-173/3.2-3.4 fared in the last several years, and that should give you some idea of your chances.

Good luck!
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 07:47:01 PM »

Even if the school "removes" the D through a program like "Academic Renewal", LSAC will still report it as a D. No way to get rid of it for LSAC.

Yes, but a D, in the right light, looks almost like a B.

This is wrong.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

she____atomizes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 10:51:34 PM »

Yes, but a D, in the right light, looks almost like a B.

do you guys mean getting my undergrad school to remove my D?

This is wrong.

she____atomizes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 10:52:31 PM »
and what does splinter mean?

she____atomizes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 11:03:43 PM »
also when applying to law school does anything else help? like work experience? and is there an interview at the college or do they just send you an accept or reject letter?