Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New York firms hire from UALR Law (Little Rock, AR)?  (Read 2979 times)

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: New York firms hire from UALR Law (Little Rock, AR)?
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 08:08:57 PM »
There's apparently no way to make you stop condescending.

That's just because I am better than everyone else.  ;)
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 08:11:48 PM »
There's apparently no way to make you stop condescending.

That's just because I am better than everyone else.  ;)

::)

Jemma, your answer was in the first two posts.  If you go to Arkansas, you should expect your job opportunities to be mostly limited to the area, at least at first.

Sorry, threads tend to degenerate around here as soon as the answer to a question is posted.  :(
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 08:15:12 PM »
Sorry, threads tend to degenerate around here as soon as the answer to a question is posted.  Sad

Why are you being so condescending towards us?
Georgetown Law Graduate

Now who's being naive?

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 08:35:11 PM »
Sorry, threads tend to degenerate around here as soon as the answer to a question is posted.  Sad

Why are you being so condescending towards us?

You had it coming.
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 11:41:35 PM »
You had it coming.

Why do you hate freedom?
Georgetown Law Graduate

Now who's being naive?

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 01:30:44 AM »
You had it coming.

Why do you hate freedom?

I'm Canadian?

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 10:20:26 PM »
I go to UA-Fayetteville and yeah, you have virtually NO chance of going to NY out of law school here or UALR. You certainly don't have to practice in Arkansas though.

As long as you are even relatively competitive (Top 1/2) you could probably choose to practice in Tulsa, OKC, KC, or Springfield. If you make Top 1/3 grades you have a good shot to make it to Dallas, St. Louis, NO, etc. I mean I know of one 3L going to work for a firm in DC but other than that unless you are at the VERY top of your class with some connection you won't start in a coastal big city market. I think there a lot of advantages to that too but it is all relative to what you want out of life and your career.

Again though all of my knowledge is based on UA-Fayetteville and not UALR...

Jemma

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2009, 12:28:25 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  :)  Informative and entertaining.  The only way I will go to school in Arkansas is if I can't produce the funds for anything else.  I have been reading the posts on the NY schools and it is so depressing.  The only schools that the posters do not consider total crap are NYU, Columbia, Fordham, Yeshiva, and maybe Brooklyn Law School.  Yeshiva and Brooklyn Law are atleast somewhat possible for me to get into (atleast when I retake the LSAT), but I wouldn't get scholarships so they're out.  Are Pace, Hofstra, NYLS, St. John's, CUNY, Touro, et cetera worth bothering or should I hang myself now?

kolya

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2009, 02:51:19 AM »
Are Pace, Hofstra, NYLS, St. John's, CUNY, Touro, et cetera worth bothering or should I hang myself now?

Option 3: Live happy, fulfilling life doing something not law. 

Why do you want to practice in NY?  If you just want to live in NY, do something else.
Nothing here tells me anything about why you want to practice law and the NY fixation makes me think that your focus is elsewhere.  Don't get yourself into debt if you're not interested in being a lawyer first and foremost, even if pay and location end up being crap.

And if, when you say "NY firms," you mean biglaw, then your list of schools "not total crap" should stop with Fordham, and even there you'd have to be at the top of your class, which is not something you can really predict going in.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 03:14:10 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  :)  Informative and entertaining.  The only way I will go to school in Arkansas is if I can't produce the funds for anything else.  I have been reading the posts on the NY schools and it is so depressing.  The only schools that the posters do not consider total crap are NYU, Columbia, Fordham, Yeshiva, and maybe Brooklyn Law School.  Yeshiva and Brooklyn Law are atleast somewhat possible for me to get into (atleast when I retake the LSAT), but I wouldn't get scholarships so they're out.  Are Pace, Hofstra, NYLS, St. John's, CUNY, Touro,  et cetera worth bothering or should I hang myself now?

Fixed.

NYU, CLS, or don't go to law school.

I know it sounds harsh, but it's for your own good.