Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New York firms hire from UALR Law (Little Rock, AR)?  (Read 2980 times)

Jemma

• View Profile
New York firms hire from UALR Law (Little Rock, AR)?
« on: April 26, 2009, 02:05:03 PM »
I am thinking of attending UALR law school in the fall.  I without a doubt want to practice in New York, but cannot afford to go to school there.  Will this extremely limit my chances of working in NY? 

Thanks!!!

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: New York firms hire from UALR Law (Little Rock, AR)?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 02:10:55 PM »
Yes it will. Don't go to school in Arkansas if you only want to practice in New York.

You won't be able to network, so smaller firms will be an incredibly tough sell and there will be no alumni network to rely on. Large firms (that don't depend on networking for their hiring) in New York would probably only look at you if you are at the very top of your class (top 5%).
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

I am the Lorax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 05:52:19 PM »
Go to school in Arkansas = practice in Arkansas.  At least right out of law school.

To practice in NY right away w/o actually going to school there, you pretty much need to go to a T20 law school and, even then, you need to be in the top 25% at that T20.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 06:14:45 PM »
you pretty much need to go to a T20 law school and, even then, you need to be in the top 25% at that T20. 

You can't make blanket statements like that. The required grades will be vastly different for U Minnesota (probably top 10-15%) as opposed to Yale (have pulse = get job in NY). I know plenty of people here going to big NYC firms who are sub median.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Now who's being naive?

I am the Lorax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 06:17:18 PM »
If he's thinking of Arkansas, I'm pretty sure he's not thinking about Yale.  I'm at a T20 and for us it's Top 25%.  But thank you for condescending.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 07:06:32 PM »
I'm at a T20 and for us it's Top 25%.  But thank you for condescending.

I'm sorry if I came off condescending- though I think you must have misunderstood my post if you were offended by it.

All I was saying is that what someone needs for NYC biglaw is going to vary from school to school even within the top 20- and that a blanket statement about the required class rank isn't going to be accurate. Nowhere did I imply that the OP would be in any way considering Yale as an option. It was merely to show that top 25% isn't a constant variable. I also didn't imply that there were not schools where top 25% was the cutoff.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Now who's being naive?

I am the Lorax

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 07:11:05 PM »
I'm at a T20 and for us it's Top 25%.  But thank you for condescending.

I'm sorry if I came off condescending- though I think you must have misunderstood my post if you were offended by it.

All I was saying is that what someone needs for NYC biglaw is going to vary from school to school even within the top 20- and that a blanket statement about the required class rank isn't going to be accurate. Nowhere did I imply that the OP would be in any way considering Yale as an option. It was merely to show that top 25% isn't a constant variable. I also didn't imply that there were not schools where top 25% was the cutoff.

If you could deflate your head for a second, I DID understand.  What I'm saying is that 25% is an average.  If you look at the grades needed at Yale all the way down to MN, you average out at about 25%.  Therefore, while it's not technically true at every school, it's a good estimate and, frankly, true for most of them.

Now, obviously you didn't imply OP was going to Yale.  I was merely pointing out that by you spelling it out for my feeble little mind, you were just looking like a jerk.  Also that b/c the OP was talking about Arkansas, it really doesn't matter what the distribution is at any of those schools b/c that person probably isn't even applying to any of them.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 07:29:58 PM »
Regardless of what you meant, the figure was misleading without elaboration- and your second post further confused the matter. Assuming that nobody thinking of going to a state school could possibly be qualified to go to an elite school- now that's condescending.

It's amazing how the number of silly flame wars skyrockets at this time of year. *Now deep breaths people* Finals will be over in a few weeks.  :)
Georgetown Law Graduate

Now who's being naive?

I am the Lorax

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 07:34:24 PM »
Regardless of what you meant, the figure was misleading without elaboration- and your second post further confused the matter. Assuming that nobody thinking of going to a state school could possibly be qualified to go to an elite school- now that's condescending.

*Now deep breaths people* Finals will be over in a few weeks.  :)

Nowhere did I say OP wasn't qualified.  OP was talking about being not being able to afford an NY school and staying close to home.  Therefore, OP is probably not considering a T20 school since they are very expensive and not anywhere near Arkansas (with the exception of Emory, Vanderbilt and Texas, which aren't exactly next door).  But whatever.  There's apparently no way to make you stop condescending.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 08:04:06 PM »
Oh, yeah?  Screw both of you guys.

*crams for Crim final*