Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Military Non-Traditional  (Read 1243 times)

GRANT81

• View Profile
    • Email
Military Non-Traditional
« on: April 26, 2009, 07:35:19 AM »
I am seperating from the Navy next year as a Chief with 11 years and intend on going to law school.  I am preparing for the LSAT and looking into law school admissions, but my educational path is funky.  I have an UG in Nuclear Eng. Tech with a 2.05 GPA, but only 10 Sem hrs, because the degree was nearly completeed by miliary training in nuclear power and cleps.  I also have a MA in Human Resource Development with a 3.97 GPA and a MBA with a 3.98 GPA. The GPA of the military training was a 3.32, but no transcripts.  I think I should address the fact that taking class while attached to an operational submarine was not the brightest decision, in my personel statement, but have no idea how the admissions staff will calculate my LSAT/GPA index. 
Thoughts?

NYCFed

• View Profile
Re: Military Non-Traditional
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 08:19:04 AM »
When you submit your transcripts to LSAC, your GPA may turn out to be higher than the undergrad institution considered it to be.  While you can probably rule out going to Yale, I wouldn't stress too much over anything until you've taken the LSAT.
Do well and you should still probably apply to a larger variety and number of schools than most, and hopefullly you won't be competing with other submariners with higher GPAs for those schools.

nicoz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 09:38:05 PM »
Unfortunately masters level classes do not factor in to your LSDAS gpa. I was prior Navy as well but I only used the PE credits for my undergrad so I can't help you there. Your advanced degrees and your work experience are amazing soft factors though. Just kill the LSAT and you will have some good options. Good luck!

LegalMatters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 02:11:18 AM »
Your MBA is a soft factor that will be taken into account, contrary to what the admissions "experts" on this board say. If you don't end up where you want to first year, as long as your grades are good at the end of the first year, apply to transfer somewhere else. A former classmate and a friend of mine, former Army, did this very successfully.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 02:21:44 AM »
Your MBA is a soft factor that will be taken into account, contrary to what the admissions "experts" on this board say. If you don't end up where you want to first year, as long as your grades are good at the end of the first year, apply to transfer somewhere else. A former classmate and a friend of mine, former Army, did this very successfully.

It will be taken into account, but the question is how much?  It probably pales as a soft factor compared to the actual military experience. 

And it's dangerous to go somewhere based on the assumption that one will transfer; grades are unpredictable, and plenty of your classmates will be looking to get good grades and transfer as well.

OP: I can't tell you how admissions officers will consider your rather unusual situation, but I think your best course of action would be to thoroughly prepare for the LSAT and to explain your circumstances when you apply.

Good luck!  :)
BL
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.