Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to deal with Gunners!  (Read 4081 times)

Live Free or Die!

• View Profile
    • Email
How to deal with Gunners!
« on: April 26, 2009, 04:59:17 AM »
Hey guys and Gals.

Most of you have probably experienced the most annoying part of law school... GUNNERS :P

I have dealt with a couple myself and the best way I find to deal with them is
1. Ignore them. -or- (after they persist in being d-bags)
2. Return to LOVE back to them.
Referencing #2 I has one in my class that would not shut the f up. His points were just moot... more over any RELEVANT thing he had to say was widely known as FACT.!! I could go on but, you all Know what I'm talking about. So I'll present my question.

I do volunteer work for a gay rights organization and in there is another volunteer that is a non-law school gunner. This person display the following traits:
- Gives stupid answers. (FEMALE condoms CAN be used by MEN)
- Illogical opinions. (WWII is NOT an important part of FRENCH history)
- TRIES to cover stupid answers (e.g. "Gunner": What college did you go to? Me: I went Yale. "Gunner": Is Yale in CALIFORNIA? Me: No, It's in Connecticut. "Gunner": Oh... I KNEW THAT Me: if you knew Yale is in Ct. then WHY did you ask if it was in Ca?)
- Tries to sound SMART (i.e. In discussions gives statements everyone Already knows)
- Give advice of subjects he knows NOTHING about. (i.e. Gives "advice on genetics -In Re: to body building- while HE is in Community College, overweight AND HAS NOT: taken ANY BIOLOGY / Chemistry/ Exercise Science courses nor finished any book on human biology or body building)

At first I just let it go... But after a while I began to point out why his answers were MOOT. Recently I overheard him talking to one of my managers saying that "I was being mean/harassing him". Now the manager has negative opinions about me and god only know how many people he has talked about ME too.

I've talked Politely to him once before. ( I asked him to address ANY concerns he had to me first before he SLANDERED my reputation.)

Anyways
1. How should I deal with this GUY?
2. How should I deal with the damage he did to my reputation? 

I would try to avoid him BUT I HAVE to work with him. I would ignore it but:
In the line of work we do it Dangerous to give bad advice.
Wanting to be a Attorney my personality hates it when I don't challenge his moot points. 

FULL Disclosure: I have dated this person in the past and that is why I know so much about him. I don't treat my other ex-boyfriend (Med student) the way I treat my gunner ex BECAUSE his opinions and answers are correct/ relevant.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to deal with Gunners!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 05:28:08 AM »
Discredit, sue for slander, etc.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 12:09:48 PM »
Everything with me is dealt with violence. Cold, and harsh violence.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 01:03:37 PM »
You're working with your ex and wondering how you can turn that into a good situation?

You can't.

But you should try to not be goaded into anything.  You should never have started to contradict what this person says.  Just let him go through life spewing misinformation and being his gunner self.  You can't put a gunner in his place; you can only avoid him.  Live and let live.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 01:11:05 PM »
Nowhere in this tourette-like mass of rambling was there ever anything that resembled a coherent thought.  I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 01:30:35 PM »
The general answer is to include them in your gunner bingo board.

However, it sounds like your problem has nothing to do with gunners.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 01:51:12 PM »
You're working with your ex and wondering how you can turn that into a good situation?

You can't.

But you should try to not be goaded into anything.  You should never have started to contradict what this person says.  Just let him go through life spewing misinformation and being his gunner self.  You can't put a gunner in his place; you can only avoid him.  Live and let live.

Sure you can put a gunner in his or her place. You just need to make them feel absolutely and utterly stupid. This involves a bit of confrontation though. But it can be done. Trust me.

But if you're a peaceful or unconfrontational person (unlike myself) then I would agree. Live and let live.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 02:24:51 PM »
Seriously this is a big enough issue in your life that you gotta turn to anonymous internet posters to ask for advice?

Avoid the dude, avoid your overwhelming desire to constantly correct the guy, worry about your own life Ėit really is that simple.

And Iím not in any position to correct anyoneís grammar on here, but whatís up with the strange capitalization is that what they teach in Yale English classes these days?

And the use of legal jargon - out of context - its kind of well, creepy and gunnerish.

Go find something else in your life to have a meltdown about, this isnít worth it.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 02:25:38 PM »

You can't.

Sure you can put a gunner in his or her place. You just need to make them feel absolutely and utterly stupid. This involves a bit of confrontation though. But it can be done. Trust me.

But if you're a peaceful or unconfrontational person (unlike myself) then I would agree. Live and let live.

Maybe so, but it didn't work so well for OP.  He/she just got an enemy who is trying to undermine him/her.  It seems to me that the gunner-personality type tends to go balls-to-the-walls to win.  You see this on message boards all the time.  You know... that guy who always has to have the last word?  (And I swear, that's not what I'm trying to do with this post - haha).

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 02:28:46 PM »

You can't.

Maybe so, but it didn't work so well for OP.  He/she just got an enemy who is trying to undermine him/her.

I think it might have something to do with the prior dating experience.

Anyway, I'm telling you, make him feel like an idiot infront of a large enough crowd of people (i.e. by proving him wrong on some major point that he had made a stupid comment about) and he'll shut up around you. Guaranteed or your money back.