Hey guys and Gals.
Most of you have probably experienced the most annoying part of law school... GUNNERS
I have dealt with a couple myself and the best way I find to deal with them is
1. Ignore them. -or- (after they persist in being d-bags)
2. Return to LOVE back to them.
Referencing #2 I has one in my class that would not shut the f up. His points were just moot... more over any RELEVANT thing he had to say was widely known as FACT.!! I could go on but, you all Know what I'm talking about. So I'll present my question.
I do volunteer work for a gay rights organization and in there is another volunteer that is a non-law school gunner. This person display the following traits:
- Gives stupid answers. (FEMALE condoms CAN be used by MEN)
- Illogical opinions. (WWII is NOT an important part of FRENCH history)
- TRIES to cover stupid answers (e.g. "Gunner": What college did you go to? Me: I went Yale. "Gunner": Is Yale in CALIFORNIA? Me: No, It's in Connecticut. "Gunner": Oh... I KNEW THAT Me: if you knew Yale is in Ct. then WHY did you ask if it was in Ca?)
- Tries to sound SMART (i.e. In discussions gives statements everyone Already knows)
- Give advice of subjects he knows NOTHING about. (i.e. Gives "advice on genetics -In Re: to body building- while HE is in Community College, overweight AND HAS NOT: taken ANY BIOLOGY / Chemistry/ Exercise Science courses nor finished any book on human biology or body building)
At first I just let it go... But after a while I began to point out why his answers were MOOT. Recently I overheard him talking to one of my managers saying that "I was being mean/harassing him". Now the manager has negative opinions about me and god only know how many people he has talked about ME too.
I've talked Politely to him once before. ( I asked him to address ANY concerns he had to me first before he SLANDERED my reputation.)
1. How should I deal with this GUY?
2. How should I deal with the damage he did to my reputation?
I would try to avoid him BUT I HAVE to work with him. I would ignore it but:
In the line of work we do it Dangerous to give bad advice.
Wanting to be a Attorney my personality hates it when I don't challenge his moot points.
FULL Disclosure: I have dated this person in the past and that is why I know so much about him. I don't treat my other ex-boyfriend (Med student) the way I treat my gunner ex BECAUSE his opinions and answers are correct/ relevant.