Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Graduating 3L taking questions  (Read 5139 times)

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
Graduating 3L taking questions
« on: April 25, 2009, 12:14:09 AM »
FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!11111

After 3 long, hard, frustrating years I have been granted parole from my law school. I got a couple weeks till graduation/bar prep. So I want to pass on some knowledge that I've gained thru-out my time here.

So ask away!
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Graduating 3L taking questions
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 12:35:52 AM »
A. What was most challenging aspect(beside the obvious)of law school you had to overcome?

B. Were you ever on the precipice of throwing in the towel? If so how were you able to persevere?

C. What's the best piece of advice you could offer a 0L starting this fall?

"We have all met that type-- know-it-alls in our society who appoint themselves as infallible experts, but who actually know very little." - Ben Carson M.D.

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 12:52:41 AM »
A. What was most challenging aspect(beside the obvious)of law school you had to overcome?
- The 2 hardest parts of Law School were probably:
1. Learning to accept defeat/setbacks. I can handle a bad grade in a class. However in Law School this is the first time that many of you/us will ever run into rejection. Either rejection from the job you wanted/interned or rejection from journal/trial advocacy.

2. Constant competition. Even if  you played sports, Law School creates a different more insidious form of competition during your 1L year. You are always competing against someone else for the most arbitrary form of recognition. It gets to the point where idiots are comparing which Professor assigned the most pages to read for class or which section has the smartest people assigned to it. Day after day, you feel as if you always have to prove yourself because of the arbitrary standards that this institution creates and places upon us. You quickly learn in Law School that you can't always be #1. No matter how great you were in undergrad, there is always someone better than you.

B. Were you ever on the precipice of throwing in the towel? If so how were you able to persevere?

Nah, cuz I knew that when I stepped foot into Law School I wasn't leaving with that expensive-ass piece of paper. I've always wanted to be a Lawyer, I just never wanted to go to law school because the study of law has nothing to do with the practice of law.

C. What's the best piece of advice you could offer a 0L starting this fall?

Contrary to popular belief, there is nothing you can do to gain an advantage over your soon-to-be classmates. I don't care how many times you read "Getting to Maybe" or "Planet 1L". Unless you drop $2,500 to take a BarBri course this summer, you will not have any noticeable advantage.

Your best bet is to go out and have FUUUUUUN this summer. If you need money, then go get a part-time job working with a lawyer in a field of law that YOU HAVE A STRONG INTEREST IN PURSUING. It will give you a leg up over you classmates that went to law school "because my dad is a lawyer and I figured I might as well be one, too."

University of Law '09

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 08:22:12 PM »
What advice do you have for the class of 2009 who have just dropped $150k+ on this degree and are coming out into this economy with no job?
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 09:20:28 PM »
What advice do you have for the class of 2009 who have just dropped $150k+ on this degree and are coming out into this economy with no job?

In the words of the ever-eloquent 8Ball & MJG, "Pimp Hard, Pimp Harder"

I have little remorse for my classmates who ain't got no job. Not b/c I'm a heartless bastard but because we have more education than 90% of the population.

Think of all the people you know that have half of our education, but still find a way to make a living for themselves. If you are looking for that cushy $140-60k job STRAIGHT OUT OF Law school, well you finna get yo feelings hurt cuz they don't want us.

However, if you are looking for a JOB IN THE LEGAL FIELD that will teach you how to be a LAWYER, then there is still hope.

University of Law '09

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 02:36:19 AM »
what was your regular daily schedule like (outside of class)? How difficult did you find it to incorporate some parts of your life that had nothing to do with law school (ex: excercise, socialize, fam, relationships, and etc) into your schedule?
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 11:24:53 AM »

In the words of the ever-eloquent 8Ball & MJG, "Pimp Hard, Pimp Harder"

I have little remorse for my classmates who ain't got no job. Not b/c I'm a heartless bastard but because we have more education than 90% of the population.

Think of all the people you know that have half of our education, but still find a way to make a living for themselves. If you are looking for that cushy $140-60k job STRAIGHT OUT OF Law school, well you finna get yo feelings hurt cuz they don't want us.

However, if you are looking for a JOB IN THE LEGAL FIELD that will teach you how to be a LAWYER, then there is still hope.

Good answer.  Although heartless bastard would have also been acceptable. :D
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 12:19:40 PM »
is it time to dig up that old thread "let's scare the 1Ls" or is it too soon?
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 02:18:20 PM »
what was your regular daily schedule like (outside of class)? How difficult did you find it to incorporate some parts of your life that had nothing to do with law school (ex: excercise, socialize, fam, relationships, and etc) into your schedule?

You have to make time for yourself. 1L year I would use our 3hr break in between class on Tuesdays and go get a haircut. Sundays would be my "ME" day, where I sat ant home, didn't answer the phone, ddin't study or nothing else, and I would just watch DVD episodes of 24.

I would find time to exercise in the evening around 9:00 b/c the guym closed at 11pm. I didn't go earlier in the evening because all the Fratboys and Sorority girls would hog the damn machines at that time.

I had to break up w/ my girlfriend at the beginning of 1L year just b/c i couldn't handle a long-distance relationship AND First year at the same time. My family understood why I wasn't around them as much or call as often because I brought them to friends-and-family day at school and they understood the crap I had to go thru on a daily basis. I wouls ee my friends from undergrad whenever we had a 3 day weekend or Spring break or such.

You have to learn how to say "NO! I'M NOT READIN'G ANOTHER DAMN THING!" and take some time out for yourself.

University of Law '09

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 02:24:56 PM »
is it time to dig up that old thread "let's scare the 1Ls" or is it too soon?

Nah. . ..I'd hold off until the summer. A lot of them are still celebrating their undergrad graduation

University of Law '09