Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Graduating 3L taking questions  (Read 5353 times)

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
Re: Graduating 3L taking questions
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 09:15:09 PM »
I'm sure we have all heard stories of how competitive law school. In reference to your experience, how competitive was it? Was it "cut-throat competitive"???

Cut-throat is a very relative term. I've never seen any real-life examples of people "hiding books" or slashing pages out of other books. Simply because if somebody did that, it wouldn't make a difference in the grand scheme of things. Your grade is decided by a 3hr exam at the end of hte semester, not by how well you read all the dusty books in the library.

The "competition" is more fostered by the law school itself. In undergrad you could do your own thing and nobody cared. Athlete, Greek, Student Gov't, Weedhead, Computer Science, it really didn't matter because you were only judge by those who had similar interest.

In law school EVERYBODY is compared against the person next to them. It is never enough to do a good job, because the school is going to point out that somebody else did better.

"You made Mock Trial, congrats! Joe Blow made Moot Court!"

"You made Journal, congrats! Susie Q made Law Review!"

"You made Law Review, congrats! Jimmy McGhee got published!"

"You are in the top quarter of your class, congrats! Jimmy Jack Johnson is Order of the Coif"

It goes on and on and on, to the point where you actually DOUBT how intelligent you really are. You actually think that you are LESS intelligent than your classmates just because you aren't a part of some arbitrary legal publication THAT NOBODY IN THE PROFESSION OF LAW ACTUALLY READS!

Law school is essentially a mind-game. The quicker you realize that, the better you can handle it.
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 09:20:39 PM »
and what clinics or summer internships did you take in order to get all that you could out of school??

signed,

over anxious 0L ???

During my 2L year I did an externship with the Federal Public Defender's office. During my 3L year I did an externship with the city's District Attorney's office through my Prosecution Clinic.

Both clinics were wonderful experiences and it gave me wonderful insight into both sides of the Criminal Law. Before the Pros. clinic I always thought that DA's were inherently evil people who were only out to lock-up all minorities and had the easiest job in the world.

Oh how wrong i was. Being a DA is hard for a plethora of reasons that people don't recognize until they've actually watched a DA has to go thru for the simplest of cases.

I believe my Clinics were the most beneficial classes in Law school. Everything else was pointless crap inside of expensive-ass books that I had to teach myself with an outline anyways. After 1L year, you don't LEARN any new concepts in regards to "thinking like a Lawyer". You classes thereafter are just designed to fill-up your schedule and justify paying a Professor 6-figures so he can sit and publish "scholarly" books and articles.

University of Law '09

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2009, 09:44:54 PM »
chukoo321, do you have a job offer?  Do most of your classmates have job offers?  What law school are you graduating from?

Do you recommend someone considering attending Southern in Louisiana? 

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 01:20:40 PM »
Would your clinics have been as beneficial if you had no desire to litigate?
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php?action=post;quote=5339764;topic=4019437.20;num_replies=23;sesc=bd801d38c3b45f41d8465aa2d9b5b270

I wouldn't have signed up for any of them if I didn't want to be a litigator.

University of Law '09

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2009, 06:14:25 PM »
"My Professor said that he takes participation into account when grading, what can I do to get a high participation grade?"

Absolutely nothing, your Professor was lying to you the same way your Parents lied when they said Santa was going to bring you a gift if you were naughty.

Participation is very similar to the ABA's requirement of attendance: After your first year, you soon recognize that going to class is pointless and that you'd be much better off just reading the material and teaching yourself.

However, the Law School could not justify your Professor's 6-figure salary if hardly anybody came to class (unless he was tenure) so he has to make up rules that make you fear for a lesser grade unless you are in class everyday, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.

Can you get an "A" if you never raise your hand and ask a question? Yes

Can you get an "A" if you never answer a question when called upon? Yes

University of Law '09

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2009, 06:32:46 PM »

That's so racist.  It implies that an educated black man is a rarity. 

tache1

• AOL Instant Messenger - morehousenigg99
    • View Profile
    • my political blog
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2009, 10:16:52 PM »
An educated black IS a rarity, especially in relative terms
"everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth"

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2009, 10:38:44 PM »

Why?  Because 1) they are not smart enough or 2) they are oppressed by the white men? 

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2009, 12:06:29 AM »

Why?  Because 1) they are not smart enough or 2) they are oppressed by the white men? 

Oh God, if this turns into a political/affirmative action discussion I'm LOCKING THIS POST with a quickness.

University of Law '09