Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UF 1L Taking Questions  (Read 733 times)

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
UF 1L Taking Questions
« on: April 24, 2009, 08:11:45 PM »
I am willing to answer any questions you have about the law school!

gatorgirl711

• View Profile
Re: UF 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 12:55:23 PM »
why did you decide on UF for law school and how do you like it so far?
Go Gators! :)

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UF 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 01:29:46 PM »
I chose UF for law school for various reasons.

The first was location.  My wife and I wanted to move out of the cold Northeast because we love the warmer weather.  Being able to play sports and go to the pool every month of the year is amazing, and we wouldn't trade it for nearly anything!

The second was reputation.  UF is the best law school in Florida, and since we're not set on exactly where we want to settle in Florida, it gives us the most options in Florida.

The last, although not least, reason was cost.  UF's in-state tuition is a steal, and it's (supposedly) very easy to get if you just follow the normal steps (declare your domicile at the courthouse, register car and register to vote here, etc.).  Also, the COL is very cheap in Gainesville, which also is a cost that people often overlook.

I love it here.  The people are great; while it's competitive, people generally are very friendly.  There is a decent amount to do in Gainesville if you're willing to do your research, and Tampa, Jacksonville, and Orlando are only approximately a 2 hour drive from there. 

There are also a decent amount of externships that give you good, practical hands-on experience.  This is good, especially right now when the economy is doing so well....

I will admit that OCI has been a disappointment, though, but I expected that due to the economy.  However, I really wasn't expecting to get a job through OCI anyhow, as the reality is most people are not going to find jobs that way, even with solid grades.

If I had to choose again, I'd definitely choose UF!  :)