Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: just when I thought I was done...Kent pulls out a rabbit!  (Read 1458 times)

ohioan

• View Profile
just when I thought I was done...Kent pulls out a rabbit!
« on: April 24, 2009, 07:48:40 PM »
It is definitely nice to know that a school wants you. I got an email from Kent today offering me a scholarship. I am not sure though if this is really a good thing. I mean obviously a scholarship is, but it is the $10K with 3.25 vs. 6K guaranteed that others have mentioned. I have 15K with a 3.3 at DePaul...so maybe Kent is the better gamble overall. I should at least be able to earn a 3.0 at which they will renew half the scholarship. So I would have gotten 10K first year, and 5K each of the next two years. Though Kent dropped in the rankings this year, they are still considered "better" in stature than DePaul. So now I am back to the question I (and others) asked months ago...Kent with 10K/3.25 or DePaul with 15K/3.3?  Any thoughts would be very helpful!!

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: just when I thought I was done...Kent pulls out a rabbit!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 05:53:17 AM »
i totally don't get grading systems and curves at law schools (funny considering our school involves 177 as median and a bunch of other stuff i don't understand). i would ask depaul and kent to put you in touch with current students who will hopefully give you a better idea of how difficult it is to retain scholarships; most students are definitely trying to recruit but won't outright lie to you. maybe i'm a total pessimist, but i would take the scholarship with the least strings attached....which looks like depaul. but again, talk to people at both schools and see how hard it is to maintain the required GPAs. go to admitted students weekend at both if you can and talk to people; most will be honest about their grades in my experience.

NMUZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 09:50:15 AM »
I would say Kent because I like the possibility of getting a 3.0 and still keeping at least 5,000.  Plus, I do think that Kent is a little better then DePaul

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 03:25:12 PM »
Yeah, probably take Kent.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 10:41:46 PM »
I got the same email, and the letter confirming it came in today.

For weeks, I wasn't sure what to do. It came down to DePaul's scholarship and total out of pocket costs were the better offer, but this... this is an offer that I cannot refuse.

ohioan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 02:06:32 PM »

For weeks, I wasn't sure what to do. It came down to DePaul's scholarship and total out of pocket costs were the better offer, but this... this is an offer that I cannot refuse.
 I don't know. I mean in the absolute worse case scenario, I get only 15K for first year at DePaul or only 10K for first year at Kent (this is assuming I can not make the minimum GPA at either school). But, if I am betweeen 3.0 and 3.25 at Kent, then I get 5K, and if I would have been under 3.3 at DePaul, then for the first two years, the costs equal. The main benefit would come if I am able to earn at least a 3.3 at DePaul.

My other problem is that the DePaul admissions office, financial aid, and career services have been less than accomodating in answering my questions. Some things they don't want to tell me, and others I have to ask several times to get an answer. Statistically, DePaul has had a higher employment at graduation, but Kent has had better salary numbers. For IP they are both good, with DePaul probably having a better overall reputation in the field. I'm still stuck...not sure what to do.

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 09:37:25 PM »

I don't know. I mean in the absolute worse case scenario, I get only 15K for first year at DePaul or only 10K for first year at Kent (this is assuming I can not make the minimum GPA at either school). But, if I am betweeen 3.0 and 3.25 at Kent, then I get 5K, and if I would have been under 3.3 at DePaul, then for the first two years, the costs equal. The main benefit would come if I am able to earn at least a 3.3 at DePaul.

My other problem is that the DePaul admissions office, financial aid, and career services have been less than accomodating in answering my questions. Some things they don't want to tell me, and others I have to ask several times to get an answer. Statistically, DePaul has had a higher employment at graduation, but Kent has had better salary numbers. For IP they are both good, with DePaul probably having a better overall reputation in the field. I'm still stuck...not sure what to do.

I'm curious what did you end up doing?

ohioan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 11:36:52 AM »
I found something out about Kent when I was considering this offer. Oh, before that, let me mention that Kent really made it attractive by reducing the seat deposit from 750 to 100! Anyway, when I was checking on financial aid, I learned that they are not a Direct loans school. THat means that the grad plus loan will be at 8.5% not 7.9% and that if DL makes the gradplus loan the same terms as the other direct loans (6 months grace from graduation not 60 days from last disbursement while in school), the grad plus loan through Kent is going to be much more costly!  I wanted to share this with you in case some are still considering and did not realize it (like me).

So DePaul is still my front runner with Cincinnati as a backup.

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 10:51:01 PM »
I found something out about Kent when I was considering this offer. Oh, before that, let me mention that Kent really made it attractive by reducing the seat deposit from 750 to 100! Anyway, when I was checking on financial aid, I learned that they are not a Direct loans school. THat means that the grad plus loan will be at 8.5% not 7.9% and that if DL makes the gradplus loan the same terms as the other direct loans (6 months grace from graduation not 60 days from last disbursement while in school), the grad plus loan through Kent is going to be much more costly!  I wanted to share this with you in case some are still considering and did not realize it (like me).

So DePaul is still my front runner with Cincinnati as a backup.

Interesting.  The .6% difference doesn't both me (I actually factored 8.5% for the whole amount) but how much of the loan is deferred interest accruing till after graduation makes a huge difference. 

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 02:01:55 AM »
I would say Kent because I like the possibility of getting a 3.0 and still keeping at least 5,000.  Plus, I do think that Kent is a little better then DePaul

I second this.