Law School Discussion

"Transfer Waiver"

"Transfer Waiver"
« on: April 24, 2009, 01:05:25 PM »
Anyone have any experience with or want to weigh in on the validity of a "transfer waiver"

Here's the scenero:

In order to try out for my school's moot court team, they require you to sign a waiver prior to trying out which essentially states "if i make the moot court team, i agree that my transcripts will not be sent to a third school/I will not attempt to transfer"

Now, the tryouts are next week, well in advance of us knowing what our final grades will be. I did very well my semester and plan to transfer assuming i can repeat that performance this time around. However, the only school i'm really interested in transferring to is a t-14, which of course makes my chances of gaining admission a relative gamble regardless of how well i do. The problem is if i'm forced (due to grades or otherwise) to stay at my current school, i absolutely have to be on moot and LR in order to have a chance at biglaw.

I'm curious as to what people think i should do...Assuming i sign the stupid thing, do you think i could get around it after the fact? Is it just a scare tactic? It's my understanding that once you make moot and LR (after final grades come out) they make you sign a letter of committal at that point, which i would have no problem doing b/c i would know my final grades at that point....(and therefore my transfer odds)

Thanks for whatever you have to offer...

Re: "Transfer Waiver"
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 01:57:23 PM »
Are you certain that you need Moot Court *and* Law Review to have a chance at biglaw from your current school? While Moot Court looks good on a resume, I wouldn't think it would be a deal breaker if you're toward the top of your class anyway.

Did you not apply to GULC EA? What is your current school? If you didn't have the numbers to get in to GULC EA, I would take that in to account...

Schools make you get a Dean's Certificate for the transfer process. Having signed a "transfer waiver" my present significant difficulty with that.

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 02:42:03 PM »
Are you certain that you need Moot Court *and* Law Review to have a chance at biglaw from your current school? While Moot Court looks good on a resume, I wouldn't think it would be a deal breaker if you're toward the top of your class anyway.

Did you not apply to GULC EA? What is your current school? If you didn't have the numbers to get in to GULC EA, I would take that in to account...

Schools make you get a Dean's Certificate for the transfer process. Having signed a "transfer waiver" my present significant difficulty with that.

I'm not "certain" i'll need Moot, however i will most certainly need it if i don't make LR.(which, i did really well in legal writing so i assume i have a good shot but nothing is guranteed right?) I guess i'm trying to be as risk adverse as possible being that i goto a T3.. I didn't apply to GULC, i'm really only interested in UMich, and being from Michigan i think  i have a decent shot if my grades stay around the same. I guess the question is if i approached administration after i see my final grades and ask to be removed from Moot consideration, will they let me off the hook....

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 02:48:29 PM »
Oh yikes, if you are limiting yourself to Michigan or bust...

That's... a really, really bad idea. Doesn't matter if you're from Michigan, that is just a REALLY bad idea, and Michigan is high enough on the list that you may be truly facing a losing fight trying to get in from a T3, unless you're top 1-2%, and even then. Almost every transfer applicant from the T1 who doesn't get in to UoC EA is going to be applying to Michigan.

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 02:53:48 PM »
Oh yikes, if you are limiting yourself to Michigan or bust...

That's... a really, really bad idea. Doesn't matter if you're from Michigan, that is just a REALLY bad idea, and Michigan is high enough on the list that you may be truly facing a losing fight trying to get in from a T3, unless you're top 1-2%, and even then. Almost every transfer applicant from the T1 who doesn't get in to UoC EA is going to be applying to Michigan.

I understand my chances aren't great, hence the questions. I'm not sure i'm following your post, what really "bad idea" are you referring to? I should also mention that i personally know 4 students who transferred from my school last year to UMich all barely top 10%er's. (not to mention UMich also usually takes a few from the surrounding T4's)