Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Netbooks  (Read 1223 times)

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Netbooks
« on: April 24, 2009, 01:52:25 PM »
Anybody have any experience using a netbook for exam-taking?
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

phreejazz

Re: Netbooks
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 10:40:14 PM »
Anybody have any experience using a netbook for exam-taking?

I tried it with an HP netbook.  There were more powerful netbook for the money, but the HP keyboard was the closest in size and feel to a normal/full-size keyboard.  I still found it too slow, especially in a test that was extremely time sensitive (spent far too much time correcting typos, etc because of the smaller keyboard.)  In short, even at 92% of the size of a full keyboard, I found it too inconvenient.  I'm not the world's best typer to begin with though, either.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 11:02:29 PM »
Netbooks don't have USB ports so that one could use a full-sized keyboard and mouse?  My concern would be reading the text on such a small screen when running through the exam.  I assume the netbooks meet the minimum resolution requirement for exam software, but that could be an issue.

phreejazz

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 12:23:59 AM »
Netbooks don't have USB ports so that one could use a full-sized keyboard and mouse?  My concern would be reading the text on such a small screen when running through the exam.  I assume the netbooks meet the minimum resolution requirement for exam software, but that could be an issue.

They do, the problem was that when i tried using a full keyboard, the tiny screen was just that much further away and the smaller screen then became an issue.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 08:13:51 AM »
I have no experience using them for exams, but I imagine it wouldn't work well for most people.  I have one and after using it for about an hour my eyes feel very strained, which doesn't happen to me when using a normal sized laptop. 

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 09:41:49 AM »
I went ahead and got one anyway :)  I've been using it for a few days to get used to the size, and I love it so far.  I'll post an update after my first exam...hopefully it won't be a disaster.

LSN

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 09:50:27 AM »
Oh ok.  I'm glad you like it.  If you're doing well with it so far, I'm sure it'll be fine.  What brand/model did you get?

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 11:44:47 PM »
Oh ok.  I'm glad you like it.  If you're doing well with it so far, I'm sure it'll be fine.  What brand/model did you get?

The Acer Aspire One.  8.9" display, 1.6GHz processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB HD.

Deets: http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=AA150-1126

LSN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 08:29:02 AM »
Nice, I have the same one :)

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 10:27:41 AM »