Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Liberal Arts University and Law Schools - Do I have a chance of getting in?  (Read 2546 times)

HARP

• View Profile
Right now my gpa is rather low, it's a 3.3 and I haven't taken the LSAT's yet (I'm a year 2.5 student I transfered from a regular music school to a liberal arts school (Trinity Western in B.C. Canada). I am now a poli sci major working on a music minor) ... Since I'm at a liberal arts school, a Christian one too, I have to take a ridiculous amount of unnecessary courses (some not so much, others yes). For example I have to take:

6 s.h of English
3 s.h. of Fine Arts
3 s.h. of History
4 s.h. of Human Kinetics
4 s.h. of Interdisciplinary Studies (really lame courses)
6 s.h. of a Science (biology, chemistry, geography, physics - 3 s.h. must be a lab)
3 s.h. of Philosophy
12 s.h. of Religious Studies
3 s.h. of Society and Culture
6 s.h. of Business/Economics

All of this on top of 42 semester hours of my major and 24 semester hours of a minor. Now I am freaking out about law schools even though I won't be graduating until 2012 ... I have also often been told that a liberal arts school makes you "well rounded" and "ideal" for law schools, but is that true? And do I have a shot with my first "real" year at university with a 3.3 average but is heavily afflicted with non-political science and music courses?

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
1. Calm down.

2. If you searched this site for "majors" you would've found a ton of feedback on this already. Your major, or choice of school (liberal arts, technical, etc) largely doesn't matter.

3. Calm down.

4. Worry about your GPA. That and the LSAT make up 90% of your application.

HARP

• View Profile
It's not so much about my major, I enjoy my major and I understand that you can major in anything to go to law school - i just happened to really dislike majoring in music - I'm more so concerned with having to do "more" than your average public school and if that will have anything to do with my acceptance to a law program? Do they even look at these course? Do they consider your choice of major over the core requirements that we have to do? Or is it all together? Because right now, my overall GPA with my cores and requirements is 3.3.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
They mostly just look at the 3.3
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
It's not so much about my major, I enjoy my major and I understand that you can major in anything to go to law school - i just happened to really dislike majoring in music - I'm more so concerned with having to do "more" than your average public school and if that will have anything to do with my acceptance to a law program? Do they even look at these course? Do they consider your choice of major over the core requirements that we have to do? Or is it all together? Because right now, my overall GPA with my cores and requirements is 3.3.

If you think that is "more" come to any of the Ontario 3, or McGill.

Anyway, as blueskies said above, it will depend entirely on your numerical GPA. The number is all that matters really. Law schools make fairly quick decisions in the method by which they assess your application - it's a matter of plugging in your numbers (i.e. LSAT/GPA) and calculating an index.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Yea, I'm a good example of this.  I make good grade in school.  Me get into good law school.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Yea, I'm a good example of this.  I make good grade in school.  Me get into good law school.

You're sounding a lot like jewie fernboy.