Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Suffolk a tier 4?  (Read 16689 times)

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Suffolk a tier 4?
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 05:26:42 PM »
Weird. At the time, I was looking at all top 100 schools in Boston and Texas. This one was on my list. Of course, it might have been some other ranking that gave me that idea. I didn't really know anything about rankings at the time. This was probably a week after I decided to go to law school.

At any rate, I thought it was a firm T3, so I'm shocked that it fell. I've also heard fantastic things about it from the people I know that went there. Plus, the location is great. I am curious to know why it fell, though.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 10:22:05 AM »
Minute changes can make the difference between T3 and T4.  I don't think it's a big shock for any school to switch between T3 and T4.

dullashell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 10:09:57 AM »
With Harvard and BC placing so strongly in the Boston market, and BU and Northeastern rising in reputation, Boston is fairly saturated for an unknown school.  Tier 3 maybe, but they don't placce very well in BigLaw.

18 months later and miller is still as nasty a BC troll as ever.  Which innocent 0L do you think you would be able to fool into thinking that BC's placement is with Harvard and a notch above BU?  All I can say is, do a search for BU/BC alums at Goodwin, Wilmer, Ropes, Foley, Mintz and the answer is obvious.  BU places as well if not better than BC in Boston.  BU places better at NYC biglaws than BC.  The ranking and numbers speak for themselves. Don't get me started.

And please don't quote the recent NLJ250 ranking where BC is at 15 and BU is at 18 or 20.  Last year, BU was above BC.  These schools are so close in all respects that things fluctuate year after year, but tt's just so ridiculous to read statements from insecured BC kids about "BC placing so strong" and "BU is rising."  If anything, BC is "rising" and has been trailing BU for what, 7 years now.  For uninformed 0Ls whom miller is trying to target, know that last time USNews ranked BC higher than BU, you were quite literally in middle school.

Ninja1Hater

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 10:12:29 AM »
I'm not surprised in the least to hear that Suffolk fell to T4 and, frankly, I am very happy to hear it.  Their administration -- from the Dean of Admissions all the way up to the Dean of Students -- sucks.

Suffolk was in the national headlines as being the school that gave the Alleged Rapist Bachelor (Gary Zerola) his credentials, even though he was caught cheating in school.  Attorney Zerola went on to be charged with raping young girls and pissing in public and, although he beat the charges for a number of reasons, the publicity surrounding his cases was scandalous.  GOOGLE him for yourselves.

Suffolk's administration took a much-deserved beating in the press for giving this scumbag his license to allegedly rape and allegedly urinate in public.  

They are elitist and snobby, when they have no basis for that.  I, for one, am delighted to see Suffolk drop.

djshack

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 01:47:25 PM »
I'm not surprised in the least to hear that Suffolk fell to T4 and, frankly, I am very happy to hear it. Their administration -- from the Dean of Admissions all the way up to the Dean of Students -- sucks.

Suffolk was in the national headlines as being the school that gave the Alleged Rapist Bachelor (Gary Zerola) his credentials, even though he was caught cheating in school. Attorney Zerola went on to be charged with raping young girls and pissing in public and, although he beat the charges for a number of reasons, the publicity surrounding his cases was scandalous. GOOGLE him for yourselves.

Suffolk's administration took a much-deserved beating in the press for giving this scumbag his license to allegedly rape and allegedly urinate in public.

They are elitist and snobby, when they have no basis for that. I, for one, am delighted to see Suffolk drop.

That is the least logical reason I've heard for agreeing with a law school's ranking.  The fact they gave some pervert a degree says nothing and in no way affects their ranking.  Nice way to vent.

cs0620

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not sure what decade to live in...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 06:44:53 PM »
I just can't believe that Suffolk seems like it would be that bad.  I am possibly going to move up in Boston and have heard of Suffolk.  I want to get into the best school I can.  I just worry that my undergrad GPA of 3.1 doesn't kill off my chances if I work hard on the LSAT. 

Can anyone tell me more about Suffolk and the other Mass schools?  I just have to consider all I can in them, being a 0L.  I decided I wanted to do law a month ago and still have a lot to learn.
The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity.

John F. Kennedy

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 11:20:55 PM »
I just can't believe that Suffolk seems like it would be that bad.  I am possibly going to move up in Boston and have heard of Suffolk.  I want to get into the best school I can.  I just worry that my undergrad GPA of 3.1 doesn't kill off my chances if I work hard on the LSAT. 

Can anyone tell me more about Suffolk and the other Mass schools?  I just have to consider all I can in them, being a 0L.  I decided I wanted to do law a month ago and still have a lot to learn.

It's not bad at all.  It's got a great faculty and places well regionally, which all non-T1s should do.  I think that the large PT program drags it down, but that's just my opinion.
Albany Law School Class of 2010

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 09:58:52 AM »
Like I said, I've heard great things. I used to live just down the street from the law school. It's a nice building, great location. I knew a few people that went there and loved it. I was surprised it was ranked so low, given what I'd heard.

That said, it's certainly not Harvard or BC/BU. And you do have to compete against those in the region.

Ninja1Hater

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 10:29:40 AM »
I have no desire to go there because I got admitted to a much better school in the Boston-Cambridge area.  The name of my school starts with a "B" or an "H."  That's enough info on that.

But some friends applied to Suck-folk and were treated shabbily by the staff of the Admissions Office.

Calls weren't returned, questions weren't answered and one of them still hasn't even been given a decision yet. 

So they don't seem to be very cordial or courteous, and in our opinion that goes a long way.  Add to that the fact that THEY PROTECTED ZEROLA WHEN HE WAS CAUGHT CHEATING and the only conclusion to draw is that they suck.

Cheaters should be booted immediately, no questions asked.  This scumbag will do far more damage with  "J.D." after his name than he would have done without that credential, and I'll always blame the idiot administrators at Suffolk for protecting Gary Zerola when they should have kicked him out of school.

djshack

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 12:14:56 PM »
Regarding the way the schools treats its applicants, I have to say it's actually been quite pleasant.  I've been having issues with a bank approving a loan, and Dean Ellis (Dean of Admissions) has personally been helping me out via e-mail.  She replies promptly and is very helpful.  I've also had some pleasant dealings with the financial aid office as well.

FWIW, I've heard horror stories of T14 schools' admissions staff treating applicants like *&^%.  While it'd be nice to see some level of "customer service" from law schools, it's not a factor in how good the school is.