Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Suffolk a tier 4?  (Read 16867 times)

BTWNLAW

• View Profile
Re: Suffolk a tier 4?
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 07:56:07 AM »
 have no desire to go there because I got admitted to a much better school in the Boston-Cambridge area.  The name of my school starts with a "B" or an "H."  That's enough info on that.

But some friends applied to Suck-folk and were treated shabbily by the staff of the Admissions Office.

Calls weren't returned, questions weren't answered and one of them still hasn't even been given a decision yet. 

So they don't seem to be very cordial or courteous, and in our opinion that goes a long way.  Add to that the fact that THEY PROTECTED ZEROLA WHEN HE WAS CAUGHT CHEATING and the only conclusion to draw is that they suck.

Cheaters should be booted immediately, no questions asked.  This scumbag will do far more damage with  "J.D." after his name than he would have done without that credential, and I'll always blame the idiot administrators at Suffolk for protecting Gary Zerola when they should have kicked him out of school.

1. Who cares where you go? S-N-O-B!
2. Maybe your friends grades/LSATS suck, because I had great/immediate responses from the Admissions Office.
3. Since you don't even go to Suffolk, I doubt you know all the details surrounding his cheating incident. Maybe they didn't have enough evidence to boot him. In any event, he graduated FIFTEEN years ago and that would have NOTHING to do with why Suffolk dropped to tier four this year.

Ninja1Hater

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 12:18:37 PM »
Well, "ONE-POST WONDER," you sure seem angry about this post of mine.  Perhaps you work for the Suffolk Admissions Office and you're ticked off that I spoke the truth, huh?

All the publicity about that cheating bass-turd, Zerola, came out just in 2008, so it's very likely that it DID, in fact, have a role in the plunge of Suffolk to the bottom of the toilet.

A law school *SHOULD* be held accountable for giving credentials to people who end up taking advantage of others in ways that they couldn't do without the J.D. conferred by that school.  Think "Eliot Spitzer."   Think "Gary Zerola."  Schools should pick good people, not just people who can ace that test or have a super-high GPA. 

Regardless of what an applicant's score or GPA is, the school's Admissions Office has an obligation to be courteous and professional.  It's already mid-May but this friend (and others whom we know) was left hanging.  He made other plans with another school, but Suffolk still sucks for being thoughtlessly not following up on their obligations to applicants.

May the stay down in the bottom of the toilet bowl, where they belong.

1. Who cares where you go? S-N-O-B!

2. Maybe your friends grades/LSATS suck, because I had great/immediate responses from the Admissions Office.

3. Since you don't even go to Suffolk, I doubt you know all the details surrounding his cheating incident. Maybe they didn't have enough evidence to boot him. In any event, he graduated FIFTEEN years ago and that would have NOTHING to do with why Suffolk dropped to tier four this year.

djshack

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 06:24:14 PM »
^^^ Ridiculous post. ^^^

cs0620

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not sure what decade to live in...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2009, 11:57:34 PM »
Agreed.^^^
The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity.

John F. Kennedy

EricN

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2009, 02:01:30 PM »
Thanks a lot for the info on Suffolk.  I was kind of disappointed to hear that Suffolk was a tier 4 but having a large PT division could explain it (I'm choosing to ignore the whole Zerola thing).  I was recently taken off the wait list at Indiana-Bloomington, which is an excellent school, but I do love Boston.  The midwest is also growing on me though.  In the end I may end up going to IU just because of the reputation, being tier 1, and flexibility in transferring if I deem that necessary.  Anyone have any thoughts?

IU gave me $10,000 a year, Suffolk $25,000 a year.  I have a 157 LSAT and 3.75 undergrad GPA.  I feel I beat the odds with my LSAT getting into a tier 1 school, esp one ranked so high (#23 in this year's USNWR).  I also fear having to compete in the boston market with Harvard/BU/BC/NESL.

One last thing, would a school like BC (or a DC school) be more interested in accepting me from a tier 1 school like IU-B or from Suffolk?

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2009, 11:36:23 PM »
I went to law school in Boston.  How the hell Suffolk dropped below NESL leaves me scratching my head, considering that Suffolk's alumni network is so much more extensive numbers-wise and in the variety of practice settings they have a lot of grads in.

EricN- If you're open to practicing in the Midwest, definitely go to IUB.  If you were deadset on practicing nowhere other than Boston, you might be okay with going to Suffolk considering the higher scholarship.  However, IUB will give you more options as far as where you might be able to get a job after graduation.
Fed gov't atty

ERCLAW

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 08:49:52 PM »
I hate suffolk ...its a scam school

Mr. Hart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 08:59:36 PM »
I got a better question WHO CARES? This just goes to show that the USNWR is bogus. I doubt Suffolk's job prospects, professors, bar passage rate, etc. could have changed much from last year, but all of the sudden this private company deems them a tier 4 school and they're in the toilet bowl. According to USNWR the 75th percentile of Suffolk's salary is around 125K. I'm sure thats on par with several higher ranked school. Bottomline if your looking to work in Boston it seems like Suffolk ought to be able to land you a decent job. I just feel that these rankings are taking WAY too far out of context. Some schools move as much as 40 spots a year and if you ask me there is no justification for that type of a jump in only a year.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 10:11:18 PM »

But I couldn't quite resist.

According to USNWR the 75th percentile of Suffolk's salary is around 125K.

Really and truly, those numbers are complete fiction (they are for just about any school). Realistically, something like 5% of Suffolk graduates will get six-figure jobs right out of law school. I'm not saying that to bash the school. They are equally misleading at my own school, Georgetown, where  USNEWS reports "average" starting salaries of 160k. Getting that salary requires top 1/3 and a decent bit of luck in the current economy- hardly an "average" proposition.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?