Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Columbia Exams & Technology  (Read 1553 times)

canon21387

• View Profile
Columbia Exams & Technology
« on: April 23, 2009, 12:44:22 PM »
Hi~

So I'm heading to Columbia next fall, and was wondering if any current students could let me know what they thought of the exam software's compatibility with Macs? I know that the software only runs on pc-based computers but that with Leopard/Boot-camp its possible to use a mac. I currently have macbook pro with the tiger operating system, and am debating whether to upgrade my computer (new operating sytem, increased memory, etc...) or to buy a new computer (maybe a pc  :(). Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Thank You!

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Columbia Exams & Technology
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 02:06:02 PM »
Wooohooo, welcome to the family!

Exam software is compatible with mac laptops, but not with the operating system.  You must use bootcamp, and run the software on Windows.  My mac won't run it, because I have VMWare fusion installed, and something about that program interferes with Examsoft.  I haven't heard of anyone having that problem with Parallels.

I took exams on an old Dell PC last semester, but I think I am going to buy a cheap (<$350) netbook for exams this semester, since the Dell is on its last legs.

If you buy a whole new computer, you definitely do not need to switch to PC just because of exams.  You can run windows on a new mac, or you can get a cheap, supplemental computer that you just use for exam-taking.  That said, Leopard OS is awesome, and I definitely recommend it!  I have been hearing rumors that Snow Leopard (the next OS) is on the horizon, though, so I can see why you might want to wait.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 02:31:36 PM »
FYI, I just bought this one:

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=AA150-1126&c=fr&pid=9ece8635e1f7d5b6960b7d026b19f6e2c3aa78b56cb53a2300c0564067bd46b7

It's $317, and if you enter the promo code "netbook30," you get $30 off.

LSN

canon21387

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 03:04:04 PM »
Thanks so much for the info - it really helps. I think I'll pick up an inexpensive pc for exams and wait out future upgrades.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 09:40:12 PM »
I just got my netbook in the mail today, and it is great!!  I took a mock exam on Examsoft to see how it ran, and it went over without a hitch.  It wasn't straining to see the words or anything, and I'll probably end up using this computer for more than just exams, since it's so tiny and portable.  I've been typing on it all evening to get a feel for the keyboard, and it's not all that hard to adjust to; I feel like I'm used to it already.

For less than $300, it's hard to go wrong with one of these babies as a supplemental machine...and I expect prices will only go down by the time you're ready to buy in August.

LSN

OhioUTOD

• Notre Dame Law Class of 2012
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 12:45:23 AM »
I just got my netbook in the mail today, and it is great!!  I took a mock exam on Examsoft to see how it ran, and it went over without a hitch.  It wasn't straining to see the words or anything, and I'll probably end up using this computer for more than just exams, since it's so tiny and portable.  I've been typing on it all evening to get a feel for the keyboard, and it's not all that hard to adjust to; I feel like I'm used to it already.

For less than $300, it's hard to go wrong with one of these babies as a supplemental machine...and I expect prices will only go down by the time you're ready to buy in August.

Button-- I'm thinking about buying the same netbook. How big is the keyboard? (If it's not too much of a pain, an actual inch measurement would be helpful.) Any USB ports? The other option is a Dell netbook--trying very hard to justify the Acer, though, since the Dell's an extra $100.

Also, I've heard the Acer netbooks have loud fans--true?

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 07:15:21 PM »
Button-- I'm thinking about buying the same netbook. How big is the keyboard? (If it's not too much of a pain, an actual inch measurement would be helpful.) Any USB ports? The other option is a Dell netbook--trying very hard to justify the Acer, though, since the Dell's an extra $100.

Also, I've heard the Acer netbooks have loud fans--true?

Keyboard is 9.5" by about 4", which I'm told is something like 84% the size of a normal computer.  I haven't found it difficult to type on.  There are three USB ports; one on the left and two on the right.  There are also two SD slots (one on the left, one on the right).

I hate hate hate dells, so I would pay MORE to avoid a Dell.  I've been using the Acer since it came in the mail earlier this week and I'm very happy with it.  I haven't noticed the fan being loud, but I may be less sensitive to that than you are.

My netbook has a 160GB hard drive, and if I could do it all over again I'd get one with much less space.  This is just way too much space considering I'm not storing any photos or music on here.  I think you can get better battery life if you opt for a solid state drive, but I was scared away because those had 32 GB.  I now think that amount would be more than enough.

LSN

OhioUTOD

• Notre Dame Law Class of 2012
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 07:37:26 PM »
Thanks, that helps! 9.5 x 4 doesn't sound too bad. Nice to hear about the fan--I read a review about the Acer that complained about loud fan noise, but if it doesn't bother you, then that's good enough for me, haha.