Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When is transferring worth it?  (Read 522 times)

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
When is transferring worth it?
« on: April 23, 2009, 09:29:42 AM »
At what point is it worth it to transfer out of a Tier 3?  I've heard that the pain of transferring and starting over in a new location is only worth it if you transfer to a top 20 school.  What about top 50?  T2?

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: When is transferring worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 09:42:31 AM »
I definitely know a guy that transferred to a T2 for 2L and 3L. He transferred from a T4, though. He thinks it was a good idea. He's working on finding jobs now. He liked the new location better, but moved a large distance for the new school. He did it because he was miserable at his T4 and his grades were good enough to transfer to the T2. I think it just depends on your circumstances.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 10:19:41 AM »
Going to a T3 you should really focus, from day one, on networking and getting involved in the legal community outside your school (join the local bar associations, an Inn of court, go to CLE sect.) because that is your best way of finding work. Assuming your going to go to school in a city where you would like to stay afterwards giving all that up to go to a T2 may not be worth it, because your going to have to start networking again there too. Even at T2 schools, top 50 schools, most students donít find a job through the school (like OCI) Contacts being so important to finding good jobs (and assuming you have done that by the end of 1L) I would not transfer unless it was to a school that by its self guarantees me a job (through rep).  Who you know beat where you go, if you do it right, so do it right from the beginning.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 11:47:08 AM »
I definitely agree with that. The one example I listed before transferred from an area that he didn't like to a T2 in an area that he did like. He started networking in the region with the T2 before law school. Had already worked for a firm there for a year and knew a lot of people down there. In his situation, the transfer made sense, but it won't work for everyone.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 01:35:41 PM »
It's all going to be about personal circumstances and what people want out of their careers.

Someone who wants biglaw would be more than wise to transfer from a third tier to a T14 if they can. By contrast, it would be silly for someone to transfer from a third tier to a middling first tier in a market in which they have no interest.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?