Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Searching for a new laptop  (Read 1132 times)

Xaphon

• View Profile
Searching for a new laptop
« on: April 22, 2009, 10:47:22 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions? I am leaning toward an HP model...anyone have an opinion one way or the other?

Thanks

djshack

• View Profile
Re: Searching for a new laptop
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 05:40:02 PM »
Lenovo T400.

/thread

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 05:50:01 PM »
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 12:30:31 PM »
I have a Lenovo X61S, it rocks and from all accounts lenovo cust support is tops. A classmate with a new HP was without a computer for 3 weeks while her's was being repaired - check which brands are supported at/by your school, it can make a big difference. Overal, I find the slim/light laptops well worth getting and within the lenovo range, the business class seem to be the best (X and T series).
HLS 2010

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 12:40:12 PM »
Iím running a Dell XPS M1330 right now and really like it http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m1330?c=us&cs=19&l=en&ref=lthp&s=dhs

I also just ordered an Adamo http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/adamo/topics/en/us/adamo-pearl?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

But I donít think Adamo would be  a good law school laptop. M1130 or the Studio version has everything you need. Getting an SSD will make it much faster (I can go from power on to vista in 45 seconds) but it may not last all three years, and you canít recover if it crashes so you need to have a backup plan in place fulltime.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 11:34:48 AM »
I also own a Dell XPS 1330.  I've always owned Dell computers and I used to swear I would only buy Dells, but this one has changed my opinion a bit. 

This is the most I have ever spent on a computer.  I had a lot of things upgraded when I bought it and I was attracted to the fact that it is small and light yet powerful.  However, I've had problems with it since day 1.  I've already had to replace the hard drive (thank goodness I faithfully back up onto an external hard drive) and I get the blue screen of death at least once a week.  Have no idea why.  I would call Dell, but I was on the phone with the tech people for HOURS over the hard drive and frankly I just don't have the time to waste while they run every test under the sun.

If I had it to do over again, I would really shop around and find a deal at one of the big box stores on something equally small, but maybe a litte cheaper and less powerful.  I think Dell is getting too big and their customer service (which used to be pretty good) now sucks.  You don't need a monster computer for law school.  Unless you're a gamer or something, just get a really light computer that will do the basics and save your money.  That's all you need.
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 11:38:11 AM »
Revised Opinion:  I just checked Dell and you can now get a 1330 for WAY less than I paid for it.  If you can get one for between $750-$1000 it is worth that.  Like I said, I've owned a lot of Dell computers and this is the first one I've ever had a problem with, so it is likely a somewhat isolated event.
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 11:41:23 AM »
Revised Opinion:  I just checked Dell and you can now get a 1330 for WAY less than I paid for it.  If you can get one for between $750-$1000 it is worth that.  Like I said, I've owned a lot of Dell computers and this is the first one I've ever had a problem with, so it is likely a somewhat isolated event.

Dot go on the dell support webpage and download the lastest driver for your computer (it will know by serial number what you have) that fixed alot of my smsall isuses. BUT BACK UP FIRST!
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

I am the Lorax

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 05:54:01 PM »
Dell = waste of money.  I've had two and they both crapped out in less than three years.  Once you go Mac, you never go back!

djshack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 06:54:07 PM »
Dell = waste of money. I've had two and they both crapped out in less than three years. Once you go Mac, you never go back!

I got an iBook (first Mac) in 2004.  Then I got a MacBook in 2007.  Now I have a ThinkPad T400, and I gave my MacBook to my dad.  The T400 outperforms my MacBook in every sense (aside from the OS, but that's debatable), and cost about $700 less than a semi-equivalent MacBook today.  It's also tougher.