Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 0L looking for some advice  (Read 2815 times)

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Re: 0L looking for some advice
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2009, 05:45:24 PM »
Vap is a naive 2L who don't know much more than you.

What's your story?  All I know is that you seem to shill for t-14 like your life depended on it.

The Mark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2009, 08:25:39 PM »

True, but big law is right up my alley. It's a lifestyle choice that, while many people may hate, I feel like I would be perfectly suited for it.

Elaborate how Biglaw lifestyle suits you?

No.

My point exactly. 

There is no answer to your question that will satisfy you. However, I'm feeling frisky now, so I'll bite.

As I stated in an earlier post, I am single, without children, no real family that I have to see on any regular basis. All the negatives a lot of people associate with big law  (insane hours, high stress, little to no personal time, etc...) not only don't scare me, it's what attracts me to it. I work well under pressure and always rise to a challenge. That is why I feel it is right up my alley. Feel free to tear that apart now.

canon21387

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2009, 01:32:56 AM »
Hey!

So I'm graduating this fall, with a double major in International Affairs and Economics, and thought it might be helpful for you to hear from a current GW student. In terms of what you'll get from potentially attending GW (besides a good education), it's going to depend entirely on your personality. The school's location is excellent - every student I know who's wanted to intern on Capitol Hill has had the opportunity, and there's something to be said for having the national archives as a place to research term papers. But if you're not interested in these "extracurriculars", then I can't honestly recommend GW, especially  as a means of getting into law school. GW is a great school, but is not likely to provide you with any added advantage in getting into law school. There a a lot of students here who want to go to law school - I have a 3.6-something/175 and am headed to Columbia, and there are people headed to every other t-14, but really, there are even more going to Pitt, FSU, Roger Williams, etc... As everyone else here has stressed, law school admission is a numbers game. There's nothing special/even noteworthy about GW's prelaw advising or law school prospects.

Hope that helps! Best of Luck!

The Mark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2009, 10:14:09 AM »
Hey!

So I'm graduating this fall, with a double major in International Affairs and Economics, and thought it might be helpful for you to hear from a current GW student. In terms of what you'll get from potentially attending GW (besides a good education), it's going to depend entirely on your personality. The school's location is excellent - every student I know who's wanted to intern on Capitol Hill has had the opportunity, and there's something to be said for having the national archives as a place to research term papers. But if you're not interested in these "extracurriculars", then I can't honestly recommend GW, especially  as a means of getting into law school. GW is a great school, but is not likely to provide you with any added advantage in getting into law school. There a a lot of students here who want to go to law school - I have a 3.6-something/175 and am headed to Columbia, and there are people headed to every other t-14, but really, there are even more going to Pitt, FSU, Roger Williams, etc... As everyone else here has stressed, law school admission is a numbers game. There's nothing special/even noteworthy about GW's prelaw advising or law school prospects.

Hope that helps! Best of Luck!

Great Post! Your exactly the kind of person I was hoping to hear from. I hope you don't mind me asking, but, how did you pay for GW? From what I can gather, GW offers a financial aid package based on merit that they send out with the decisions. Are you familiar with how much these packages average?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2009, 10:54:52 AM »
Go to the school you want to, minimize your debt,  do good, prepare for the LSAT then consider your options. If you want to be a lawyer bad enough you will overcome any hurdle in your way, trust me I know, I had the deck stacked against me and I did it anyway. Just do what you gotta to get yourself to your end goal. Good luck.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2009, 11:09:09 AM »
Ditto to all above. Graduate with as little debt as possible. GPA and LSAT are 90% of the process.

p.s. I went to a huge state school, and the first time I took a practice LSAT I got a 156. I studied, learned the test, and ended up with a 169 - enough to get me into GULC, Penn, Cornell, Berkeley, and a couple others. Live the dream! lol

haulin_oats

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2009, 11:21:28 AM »
Don't go to GW dude. You shouldn't even be asking about financing. Just go to the state school, get a good GPA and learn the LSAT, and you will be fine. Also, take care to write a decent personal statement when the time comes. While the personal statement won't get you in, it might get you out.

canon21387

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2009, 12:35:09 PM »
I hope you don't mind me asking, but, how did you pay for GW? From what I can gather, GW offers a financial aid package based on merit that they send out with the decisions. Are you familiar with how much these packages average?
[/quote]

I paid for GW via merit scholarship. I did really well on the SATs in high school, and GW has several programs that recruit NMQST people, so my whole tuition was covered. I did have to pay living expenses, but my parents helped me out, and I've worked since I was 14 and throughout my time here. Thus, I've managed to avoid loans so far, but will be pay for all of Columbia (minus my scholarship there) through loans. With that said, a very high percentage of incoming freshmen at GW are awarded between 1/2 tuition Presidential Merit Scholarships and some full tuition. The problem you will face is that the large scholarships are unfortunately not available to transfer students. I think the largest scholarship they can award you (or at least this was true in the past for my friends who transfered in) was $12,500/year merit. GW does offer financial aid, in the form of both grants and loans, on top of merit aid, but it's going to still be a very hefty price tag. With cost of living and tuition, you're looking at $52k/year.  They do send out financial decisions with letters of acceptance, and they can work with you if it's a borderline case (can almost afford it but not quite).

With all  of this said, you should really consider your state school options. GW will not help you get into law school, it's all about your GPA/LSAT. GW should be a serious consideration if there's any chance law is not what you want to do. We're literally across the street from the State Department, so if you decide IR is more the career path for you, then this might be a better option. I've loved my time here, but there's not even a remote chance I could have (or would have) come here without very strong financial incentives.

Hope that helps  - if you want to know anything else about G-dubs, let me know!

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2009, 02:46:10 PM »
I am a community college grad. I went to UCF for undergrad and graduate school. I am, by no means, an idiot. While I did not get into a t-14 law school (I was waitlisted at a few), it was a result of my LSAT score (much higher than a 145), and not due to my state school degree. I do go to a t-20 school, with a good chunk of money, and I am in the top portion of my class. I would classify my employment prospects as excellent (summer work at a prestigious boutique that still has a 12 week summer program, lots of AmLaw 100 offers). So, everything worked out well for me, despite the scarlet S I wear on my sleeve signifying to the law firm/school elite that I went to (gasp!) a state school and a community college.

I went to community college and the state school because it was the cheapest option. I had to pay my way through school, I was getting nothing from my family. I had no interest it piling on debt for no real reason. I think adcoms understand this. I think especially at your age, they will understand that economic factors are more in play when you chose were to go to school.

So, if it were me, I would just go to USF, slay my classes, do my best on the LSAT and worry about going to the best possible school when you go to law school. That matters more.