Law School Discussion

UM Out of Top 100

UM Out of Top 100
« on: April 22, 2009, 07:11:57 PM »
How do you all feel about University of Mississippi out of the top 100? 

It's an old, well-established law school that's the best in its state and one of the best in its region.  I thought that it has a solid place in the top 100. 

Re: UM Out of Top 100
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 11:22:05 PM »

It's an old, well-established law school that's the best in its state and one of the best in its region.  I thought that it has a solid place in the top 100. 

Ol' Miss sent me a candidate referral, as did Idaho. Those are two places I would never go, even if my 1L profs were named Halle Berry, Beyonce', Tyra, Megan Goode, Katheran Heigel, and Charlize Theron...   

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »

Ol' Miss sent me a candidate referral, as did Idaho. Those are two places I would never go.

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 10:28:23 AM »

Ol' Miss sent me a candidate referral, as did Idaho. Those are two places I would never go, even if my 1L profs were named Halle Berry, Beyonce', Tyra, Megan Goode, Katheran Heigel, and Charlize Theron...   

Anyone else?

Who's Megan Goode?

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 10:32:37 AM »
Frankly, I think it means very little in the long term. The nature of the ranking system is that schools that are not at the very top will suffer large fluctuations in rank. This is because you have lawyer/judges in Washington state being asked about some school in Mississippi. It's going to be random chance whether those people know anything about the school or have actually interacted with any alums.

IMO the ranking system just doesn't make sense for regional schools.

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 10:42:50 AM »
IMO the ranking system just doesn't make sense for regional schools.

Yes, it does!  According to the ranking, University of Houston is better than South Texas, and Stetson is better than Florida Coastal, and University of Mississippi is better than Mississippi College, etc.  It makes some sense. 

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 10:49:24 AM »
Just because it sometimes correctly ranks within regions doesn't necessarily mean it makes sense. It doesn't really make any sense to be comparing the University of Denver to the University of Houston. That's apples to oranges. If U Houston dropped 30 spots (As it did a few years ago and now recovered) that does NOT mean it would be getting closer to South Texas in terms of reputation.

IMO, they should subdivide by region past the top 30 or so.

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 10:51:32 AM »
Just because it sometimes correctly ranks within regions doesn't necessarily mean it makes sense. It doesn't really make any sense to be comparing the University of Denver to the University of Houston. That's apples to oranges. If U Houston dropped 30 spots (As it did a few years ago and now recovered) that does NOT mean it was getting closer to South Texas in terms of reputation.

Yea cuase we top 10 school now, Houston festering TTT in decline ;)

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 11:08:05 AM »
Yea cuase we top 10 school now, Houston festering TTT in decline Wink

I hear that. It's nice to go to the number one part time law school in the US.  ;D

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 11:39:39 AM »
Actually, UofH (aka Cougar High) is a festering TTT in decline.  They are only ranked where they are because they managed to block Texas A&M from buying South Texas. 

I'm not going to say that my school is the finest, god knows, I'm trying to transfer, but UofH is only where they are by luck.  I haven't met a single student from there who likes the place.

What's funniest about these rankings is that South Texas continues to rack up moot court/mock trial titles, and yet the Trial Advocacy ranking in US News falls.