Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: "preparing" for law school  (Read 1038 times)

m1ss_uNdeRst00d

• View Profile
"preparing" for law school
« on: April 22, 2009, 04:37:32 PM »
Did you "prepare" for law school?

If so, are you glad you did? Or did you find it was a waste of time? Or do you think it hurt you?

If not, do you wish you had? Or are you glad you didn't?

I bought PLSII and I'm following his "system." Basically, I'm going to read the books he suggested this summer, and a few others. Has anyone else used that system?

Someone will inevitably ask why I'm bothering to spend my summer "studying law before I study law" (and call me a "gunner"). First, I love to read, and I won't get burned out. Second, I've heard time and again that what you learn in class doesn't prepare you for the exam. Third, I don't want to be completely confused my first few weeks (or months).
UB Law 2012

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: "preparing" for law school
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 05:22:37 PM »
I always heard to not study up before school, and so I didn't, but I wish I had. Familiarizing yourself with some basic terms and over-arching concepts in all of your subjects for your first semester will come in handy.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

m1ss_uNdeRst00d

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 07:27:47 PM »
I always heard to not study up before school, and so I didn't, but I wish I had. Familiarizing yourself with some basic terms and over-arching concepts in all of your subjects for your first semester will come in handy.

That's pretty much what I'm doing. Thanks for the reply
UB Law 2012

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 07:50:08 PM »
I also read PLS II and was considering following his advice, but I didn't have time to do so.  However, I did do some prepping.  I just read some of the E&E's and did the examples to get a feel for the basic terms in the subject.  I think it helped me a decent amount, as I wasn't as confused as many of my classmates at the beginning of the semester.  However, I wouldn't do more than that.  Each professor is different, and it may not be much help to delve deeply into the topics. 

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 07:56:26 PM »
I began loosely following the "9th month" program in January, though I've slacked off some in the past month.  I figure I'll get caught up when we settled in our new town/home in a few weeks.  I don't really care what people online think of me, and I have no plans on acting at all gunnerly in class - I'll answer when called upon and if I have questions, well, that's the reason for office hours.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

cconnoll

• AOL Instant Messenger - tgrdbsktprep31
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 11:13:05 PM »

NINJA1, any particular methods/tools/resources you would care to elaborate on that may help to initaite us 0L's into the basic terms and over-arching concepts?! gracias!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 12:20:48 AM »

NINJA1, any particular methods/tools/resources you would care to elaborate on that may help to initaite us 0L's into the basic terms and over-arching concepts?! gracias!

I'd say just read up on them a bit. The Wikipedia articles on each subject would probably be a pretty good primer. It's not necessary that you have a total mastery of things, just have a general idea of how they flow and what some important terms and concepts are. That was probably one of the hardest parts of first semester, trying to understand the basic concepts and building out from there. If you come armed with the basic concepts, I'd bet you'd be in pretty good shape. That would explain why ex-paralegals and such usually have a pretty decent handle on things.

cconnoll

• AOL Instant Messenger - tgrdbsktprep31
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 12:24:43 AM »

I'd say just read up on them a bit. The Wikipedia articles on each subject would probably be a pretty good primer. It's not necessary that you have a total mastery of things, just have a general idea of how they flow and what some important terms and concepts are. That was probably one of the hardest parts of first semester, trying to understand the basic concepts and building out from there. If you come armed with the basic concepts, I'd bet you'd be in pretty good shape. That would explain why ex-paralegals and such usually have a pretty decent handle on things.

Thanks for the advice! so wikipedia torts, contracts, civ pro, crim pro......anything else above and beyond this you would recommend brushing up on, as far as terms go?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 12:26:44 AM »

Thanks for the advice! so wikipedia torts, contracts, civ pro, crim pro......anything else above and beyond this you would recommend brushing up on, as far as terms go?

Not really. Do break out the Black's Law Dictionary if you don't understand something though, it's pretty helpful.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 12:27:53 AM »
You wanna know what you 0Ls really need to learn how to do?  You all need to learn how to dress.  I swear to god that most of you kids are clueless about how to wear a suit, or even a blazer or sports coat.

So, yeah, learn how to dress ya freakin' hippies.
Also take up tobacco pipe smoking.  That will set you apart in a good way.