Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Admin Law?  (Read 576 times)

alamogirl

• View Profile
Admin Law?
« on: April 22, 2009, 04:31:23 PM »
I've heard mixed things on this class.  Some say it's easy and others have told me that it's the most difficult class in law school.  I've also heard that it's reminiscent of Civ Pro, which I hated with a passion and did poorly in.  I'll probably take it next semester together with Natural Resources, but I'm considering using my pass/fail option for it instead of a grade.  As a 1L, this makes me nervous since I'm only allowed one pass/fail course.  Thoughts? 

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Admin Law?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 04:44:56 PM »
I would imagine that the difficulty of the class would depend to some degree on the professor and the class composition.  That said, I thought that the general consensus was that Fed Courts was the hardest class in law school?  I have heard that Admin is a tough one though.

If you're so anxious about the class, why are you even taking it?  Is it a requirement?
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

alamogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 05:06:13 PM »
Yes, but I don't have to take it next semester.  I've just heard from a few older and wiser 2Ls that it's best to take Admin with Natural Resources in order to fully understand it. 

The professor is another concern of mine - he'll be new to our school next semester so no one knows anything about him.

That's good to know about Federal Courts though b/c I was planning on taking that next Spring...

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 05:25:39 PM »
I've heard mixed things on this class.  Some say it's easy and others have told me that it's the most difficult class in law school.  I've also heard that it's reminiscent of Civ Pro, which I hated with a passion and did poorly in.  I'll probably take it next semester together with Natural Resources, but I'm considering using my pass/fail option for it instead of a grade.  As a 1L, this makes me nervous since I'm only allowed one pass/fail course.  Thoughts? 

I feel your Civ Pro pain.

I'm taking admin next semester and I've heard it can be a pain (mainly seems to be because it's so boring, but I'm ok with that), but the guy that's teaching it is really good and he has a good, easy to follow style. Hopefully that will make it a little more bearable.

Good luck.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 06:46:26 PM »
Yes, but I don't have to take it next semester.  I've just heard from a few older and wiser 2Ls that it's best to take Admin with Natural Resources in order to fully understand it. 

This is actually good advice, and you get all the stuff twice, natural resources is basically Admin law with plants and bunnies and spotted three toed endangered tree frogs. If your taking both, you might be able to hold off using you pas fail because your really are going to be learning the same stuff in both classes, one the etchnical side, the other the real life side. Environmental/Natural Resources is all admin stuff. Yea Chevron deference!
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

alamogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 08:32:16 PM »

This is actually good advice, and you get all the stuff twice, natural resources is basically Admin law with plants and bunnies and spotted three toed endangered tree frogs. If your taking both, you might be able to hold off using you pas fail because your really are going to be learning the same stuff in both classes, one the etchnical side, the other the real life side. Environmental/Natural Resources is all admin stuff. Yea Chevron deference!

That's a really comforting perspective.  If Admin and Nat Res basically just reinforce the principles in respect to each other than that seems pretty bearable.  Maybe I'll hold onto my pass/fail for Fed Courts   :)

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 10:59:54 PM »
i took admin law last semester. i think it was the prof's 2nd time teaching the course at this law school. he did a great job and had an organized syllabus.
if you have a decent outline, admin law isn't that bad.
i'm taking the same prof again this semester for food & drug law.
admin law really makes a handful of other classes much easier since you understand how admin law works.
let me know if you need an outline