Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: prosecute torturers!  (Read 8401 times)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: prosecute torturers!
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2009, 06:47:31 PM »
Not only moral issues and the fact that torture is not effective, but we know that Al Qaeda uses stories of American mistreatment of muslims as a recruiting tool, considering their recent growth it appears to be working...

they not even have lie about us!

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2009, 06:47:42 PM »
Yes, I KNOW it was rendered moot..that wasnt my point. My point was that the Constitution isnt some holy grail, and it's subject to amendments.

We aren't even talking about the Constitution. We're talking about international law--treaties that we signed, and even had a major part in authoring in some cases. And again, last I checked, those haven't been "amended" to make the US an exception.

actually, constitution quite relevant as limit on power of president do whatever want. torture, even of enemy combatants, illegal by u.s. statute.

Not exactly a constitutional argument there...

only you, gump, and cheney think so.

LOL.  I think your heart's in the right place, but you're tripping over your arguments.  :)
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2009, 06:47:55 PM »
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2009, 06:48:20 PM »
I agree with the first part. Whether a "do unto others.." applies, or is relevant, I really don't know. Kind of silly in an international military conflict...probably more useful in interpersonal relationships.

it have do with respect and credibility.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2009, 06:49:53 PM »
Yes, I KNOW it was rendered moot..that wasnt my point. My point was that the Constitution isnt some holy grail, and it's subject to amendments.

We aren't even talking about the Constitution. We're talking about international law--treaties that we signed, and even had a major part in authoring in some cases. And again, last I checked, those haven't been "amended" to make the US an exception.

actually, constitution quite relevant as limit on power of president do whatever want. torture, even of enemy combatants, illegal by u.s. statute.

this make sense only if believe president not have obey federal laws.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2009, 06:50:58 PM »
I don't think it's relevant at all in terms of how captured Americans would be treated. Why not just say that we don't torture because that's just not something we do?

you one so intent on making this purely issue international law.

ever hear geneva conventions?

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2009, 06:51:06 PM »
bl825, who is the person in your avatar?? It must be a TV/movie celebrity..I don't watch TV or many movies, so I'm usually out of the loop.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2009, 06:52:18 PM »

only you, gump, and cheney think so.

LOL. I think your heart's in the right place, but you're tripping over your arguments. :)

oh, there nothing wrong julie's arguments either.

how else americans control own executive branch except through enforcing constitution?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2009, 06:53:00 PM »
bl825, who is the person in your avatar?? It must be a TV/movie celebrity..I don't watch TV or many movies, so I'm usually out of the loop.

apparently it someone who play international law expert on television.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2009, 06:53:11 PM »
It really comes down to: do americans torture? the other stuff is just the icing on the cake we use to convince amoral people to go along with what is right and just and godfearing and american.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.