Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: prosecute torturers!  (Read 8479 times)

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: prosecute torturers!
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 06:20:26 PM »
whatever they feel is necessary? like taking over the government and lining americans up against walls to be shot, as long as it's necessary?

No, in the context of getting information from captured enemies. In line with the subject of this thread, not a huge leap.

I'm being semi-inciting.

I think to myself..what if one of my family members had been killed in the WTC, or beheaded in Iraq? How would I feel about a known "terrorist" being "tortured"..well..I might not be as sensitive as someone else.

So..we're allowed to shoot huge holes through people..but not allowed to put a wet cloth over their face?

I feel that I could just as easily argue for either side of the issue.
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 06:22:54 PM »
Regardless of whether or not torture should be legal, the bottom line is that it is not. 
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 06:24:25 PM »
I dont see whats so bad about it.

Of course there's nothing bad about prosecuting torturers. Anything else would be hypocritical.

I disagree. I think the military should be able to do whatever they feel is necessary. It's too bad that it became so public.

ever take oath where swear uphold constitution?

How do you feel about the 3/5's compromise?

LSN

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 06:26:15 PM »
whatever they feel is necessary? like taking over the government and lining americans up against walls to be shot, as long as it's necessary?

No, in the context of getting information from captured enemies. In line with the subject of this thread, not a huge leap.

I'm being semi-inciting.

I think to myself..what if one of my family members had been killed in the WTC, or beheaded in Iraq? How would I feel about a known "terrorist" being "tortured"..well..I might not be as sensitive as someone else.

So..we're allowed to shoot huge holes through people..but not allowed to put a wet cloth over their face?

and what if member your family captured by enemy?  what want happen--or not happen--then?

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 06:26:23 PM »
Regardless of whether or not torture should be legal, the bottom line is that it is not. 

(nodding in agreement)

LSN

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 06:27:05 PM »
Torture has also been proven (I'll look for the cites) to be ineffective in getting information...that's part of the problem of the debate. It's not 'torture and save lives' vs. 'don't torture and be a sissy.' Torture just doesn't work in the way many people think it does.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 06:28:21 PM »
I dont see whats so bad about it.

Of course there's nothing bad about prosecuting torturers. Anything else would be hypocritical.

I disagree. I think the military should be able to do whatever they feel is necessary. It's too bad that it became so public.

ever take oath where swear uphold constitution?

How do you feel about the 3/5's compromise?

certainly an insult to slaves, but pretty much beside point in light of slavery itself.  julie doubt it made much difference them.

but emancipation proclamation and 13th amendment sweet.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 06:29:27 PM »

(nodding in agreement)

it also internationally recognized as war crime, including by u.s.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 06:30:59 PM »

I'm being semi-inciting.

and what if member your family captured by enemy?  what want happen--or not happen--then?

What would happen then? I would think they were seriously f'd, and wouldnt trust any other nation not to torture them.

LSN

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 06:33:42 PM »
Yes, I KNOW it was rendered moot..that wasnt my point. My point was that the Constitution isnt some holy grail, and it's subject to amendments.

LSN