Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New England Law Boston v. Roger Williams University Rhode Island  (Read 3846 times)

pennylilithwise

• View Profile
    • Email
My two choices are New England Law Boston and Roger Williams University.  I was accepted to four, and they are my top two choices.  They are the same ranking (4th tier, i know so don't just say they're both crappy out the door).  I think New England has more programs, but I got more of a personal feeling at Roger Williams.  Any advice?

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: New England Law Boston v. Roger Williams University Rhode Island
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 02:20:07 PM »
is there a significant cost difference?

zippyandzap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 02:25:24 PM »
where does NESOL place?  I ask because they're both going to be regional schools so it depends on where you want to work after graduation, but I don't imagine NESOL places in Boston much does it?

pennylilithwise

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 02:27:40 PM »
I received $10,000 to NESL (after being wait listed...seems kind odd, doesn't it?) and nothing to RWU, but NESL is $38,000/year and RWU $32,000/year, take into account the cost of living in Rhode Island (I'd buy a house) vs. Boston (I'd rent a studio) it will all be about the same. 

Rankings are pretty much all the same.

mrbrucesmith78

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 02:35:51 PM »
Yes both these two schools are regional.  However, New England Law Boston has a much better reputation and alumni base throughout Massachusetts including Boston as well in southern New Hampshire.  If you want to remain in Rhode Island, I say choose RWU but if you want to branch out to other New England states then pick New England Law Boston. 

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 02:36:11 PM »
If you're buying a house v. renting a studio I would take RWU.

pennylilithwise

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 02:40:12 PM »
To be honest, I have no idea where I want to be after graudation.  I grew up in CT and my family is there, but I've been living in Florida for six years now (went to undergrad down here) and I very well may end up in some other state after finish law school.  I really don't know.

I know neither NESL nor RWU reach to Florida, but if I was to go to CT, any idea which is stronger in CT?

mrbrucesmith78

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 02:53:41 PM »
Tough call... I would guess that New England Law Boston has a slightly better reputation in CT.  This is because of a greater alumni base through out New England.  You have remember that RWU has only been around for 10-15 years where as NESL has been around for 40 years (not including when it was called Portia Law School) The key to reputation for a regional school is the local alumni base.  Also, attorneys who attended Suffolk or even Northeastern are more likely to view NESL is a positive light compared to RWU.   

Northwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 10:11:48 PM »
I don't think either has an appreciable edge in Connecticut.

Personally, I would choose Roger Williams. I visited both schools and agree with you about the "personal feeling"; I really liked Roger Williams, although I didn't end up going there. I didn't like the vibe I got from NESL (or NELB, now). It felt very much like a high school and I decided quickly that it wasn't for me.

MrBruceSmith78 has a point about the alumni base. However, I think that longevity argument can flip the other way, too: NELB has been around for awhile and continues to sit at the bottom of the rankings, whereas Roger Williams is still building itself up. If either is going to climb higher in the next 10 years, more likely it will be RW. And another reason for that: NELB will always be competing with the Boston crowd, and will always be compared in their shadow. RW can stand somewhat on its own. Finally, the sense I get from RW is that its alumni feel more connected than NELB's—maybe in part because they all know the school is so new. That's a major selling point, at least if you're planning to work (even temporarily) in the vicinity.

Don't be afraid to negotiate. It's a tough time because applications are up, but tell RW what NELB is offering and see if they'll match. Or if you're leaning the other way, tell NELB and see if they'll sweeten the offer.

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 12:47:43 PM »
Coming from RI, I can at least tell you that the area around RWU is beautiful.
Albany Law School Class of 2010