Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Attention 1L's...I am sorry to bother you but...  (Read 3369 times)

uh huh.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Attention 1L's...I am sorry to bother you but...
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 12:49:27 PM »
I feel like we've been through this before . . .  ::)

Below is a repost from last week's thread on this topic, which was promptly ignored by a bunch of gunners-to-be who have commented on this thread. And yes, being a gunner is BAD thing for the simple reason that no one will like you. This is bad because if no one likes you, none of them will be willing to help you out when you need a job or want to network through them.  I just helped a buddy of mine get a job because he's a great guy who's smart and not annoying.  A guy who was #8 in my class asked me to help him get a job at my firm; I lied and said we weren't hiring because he's a gunner-pain-in-the-a$$ and is highly annoying. ANYWAY:

I completely agree that you need to CHILL and enjoy your summer.  I will go a step further and suggest that you should not bother with legal reading because you may do more damage than good.  First, as was stated before, every professor will teach different things, will put his/her own spin on how the law developed, and put emphasis on different areas of the law - if you fill your head with stuff you read in some book on that subject, you will spend part of your semester "unlearning" that information when you really should be concentrating on what YOUR professor will test you on.

Second, YOU'RE GOING TO BURN OUT before you even get to law school - you will find out just how dry some of this stuff is, and your excitement will wear off (and you desperately need that to push through the frustration of your first semester!) You have to trust that you will learn everything you need to know in your courses and course reading.

NOW, I do have three books that I suggest you read, none of which are substantive law. First, read Law School Confidential - it is a handbook that will prepare you for what to expect during all three years of law school and what you can do to get an edge both scholastically and in the competitive job market. Second, read The Federalist Papers - get a sense of the history behind our Constitution and government and the ideological struggle our young country went through in negotiating our government.  Third, read Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville - he was a French man who travelled extensively throughout America in the early 1800s, and this book was a product of his observations and thoughts on how democracy works (remember, at that time America was an experiment that world was watching closely!)

That should be plenty of reading for you to tackle for the summer. And I wouldn't do any more than that unless it is brainless fun reading (which you won't be able to do until you graduate!)

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 02:12:10 PM »
The flip side of that is that if you work hard and care, don't pretend that you're a total slacker.  People see right through that.

You've got good taste in quotes.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 02:15:16 PM »
I've got good taste in everything.  Scratch that; I have GREAT taste in everything.  :P

And I wasn't talking specifically about summer, for the record.  I'm just saying generally, you can care about doing well and excelling without being annoying and obnoxious.  In fact, I think you can do most things without being annoying and obnoxious.
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

ihatelawscholah1L

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 02:58:20 AM »
i feel like there are two types of gunners, the ones that annoy the *&^% out of you and your classmates because they ask stupid ass questions that they could ask during office hours. and then the gunners who ask relevant questions that actually contribute to the class.  people who are the first type usually think they are the second type so they don't think they're being annoying. raising your hand for every single question gets pretty annoying too.

law school is totally different than whatever you 0l's are thinking it's going to be like. those pre law school books don't really make sense until once you've started.

my personal recommendations about what to study before law school is to make sure you're grammar skills are perfect. i sucked at grammar and still do and wished i had studied it more before school. 

studying legal vocabulary helps too. not the complicated stuff, but the basic stuff that professors expect you to know. wikipedia is pretty accurate for this.

law school is all about time management. when you're studying, only study and don't mess around by going on facebook or checking out sports stuff.

making friends and being well liked is important. you might think, i'm just going to focus on getting good grades and not have a social life. this is the wrong way to think. the reputation you form in law school will linger with you throughout your professional career, at least that's what i would think. networking is key.  i hate networking though, it's so awkward. 

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 06:09:52 AM »
I'm going to engage in some good-natured ribbing by pointing out that you wrote "you're grammar" instead of "your grammar."  ;)
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

ihatelawscholah1L

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 06:56:57 AM »
dang it.

AppleDuck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 09:45:35 AM »
Yeah, I would say do nothing but have fun now, and don't read an ounce of law.

There will be plenty of time for that later.

Then when you get to law school, if you can... buy supplements for all the books you will be using, and try to get supplements written by the same author as your textbook for each class.
Pacific McGeorge '11