Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Attention 1L's...I am sorry to bother you but...  (Read 3387 times)

USAFVETERAN

• View Profile
    • Email
Attention 1L's...I am sorry to bother you but...
« on: April 22, 2009, 10:33:10 AM »
I was just accepted to law school and was wondering what books or reading or prep course would be good for me going into law school?  What would you suggest that you wished you did or what did you actually do to help prepare you for the transition?  Thanks a bunch for taking the time out of your busy schedule.

gatornation

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Attention 1L's...I am sorry to bother you but...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 11:02:34 AM »
Something you enjoy that has nothing to do with law school, the law, legal reasoning, etc.  If you spend your last few months of freedom reading largely useless books about law school, you will regret it. 
Vanderbilt Law Class of '11

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 12:08:26 PM »
I insist that reading "Getting to Maybe" before school starts isn't a bad idea. It will change how you approach studying for courses.

Bizarro Jerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 01:45:37 PM »
I'd start with a Black's Law Dictionary.

You want to study that thing like a madman this summer.

Make a series of a couple thousand flash cards if you need to.

Learn as much of it as you can before August.  Especially the complex Latin terms - there's a big push to reintroduce those into common legal parlance, so it'd give you a leg up.

Denny Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 03:49:04 PM »
Getting to maybe
law school confidential
Bridging the Gap Between College and Law School: Strategies for Success

All 3 are helpful.
But if you are wise, you might consider reading these books early and giving yourself some time off to relax.  Law school can be stressful enough and you need to fill your batteries now - there wont be time once classes start.
Don't worry... Some of the students in your class will CLAIM they studied and worked hard to prep for law school.  Most are lying.  And everyone is clueless for a few weeks no matter what.

m1ss_uNdeRst00d

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 07:31:34 PM »
I'm what they would probably call a gunner. I've read Planet Law School II by Atticus Falcon, and I'm following his "plan." Do what works for you, this is what I think will work for me.
UB Law 2012

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 07:36:35 PM »
I'm what they would probably call a gunner. I've read Planet Law School II by Atticus Falcon, and I'm following his "plan." Do what works for you, this is what I think will work for me.

Don't. Just don't. I know a handful of people who did this; they all regret it. If anything, it harms more than it hurts.

You have no way of knowing what your professor is going to cover in any given class. You have no way of knowing HOW he will cover it. Most importantly, you have no way of knowing what he wants you to learn about it.

PLS II greatly overstates the domination of BLL as it relates to the exams. Not every professor wants the same thing. Had I read an E&E for Crim, it would have lowered my grade significantly unless I was able to forget everything in the E&E.

If you want to prep for law school:

(arguably) read Getting to Maybe
(arguably) read LSC
Get a single page version of your resume polished and ready to go for the applications you will send out on December first
Get practice writing cover letters.. and perhaps research some of the firms you will apply to on December first

DON'T try to "study ahead"- not merely because it won't help, but because it has the potential to harm.

Edit: By the way, this post is brought to you by a 1L who is top 3%. I'm not trying to claim that what I say is the gospel, but it certainly has the benefit of foresight.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 07:46:29 PM »
Hereís my opinion on the issue. Come this time next year your either going to be in the top 25% of your class or youíre not. If youíre not going to a top 20 school and youíre not in the top 25% finding a job is going to be your top priority. Most law students will not find a job through OCI or through their schools, youíre going to need to learn how to do it on your own. If youíre not an expert at that now, this summer is a great time to become one. This skill ultimately is even more important than grades, if your grades turn out great, then you have an advantage, if your grades donít turn out great it will be pretty late in the game to realize you should have had a plan B. If you going to prep at least add in a book that will help you towards your ultimate goal of getting a job as a lawyer. Read this: http://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Tactics-Getting-Dreams-Employment/dp/0314176772/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240443908&sr=8-1#

*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 07:52:32 PM »

Don't. Just don't. I know a handful of people who did this; they all regret it. If anything, it harms more than it hurts.

You have no way of knowing what your professor is going to cover in any given class. You have no way of knowing HOW he will cover it. Most importantly, you have no way of knowing what he wants you to learn about it.

PLS II greatly overstates the domination of BLL as it relates to the exams. Not every professor wants the same thing. Had I read an E&E for Crim, it would have lowered my grade significantly unless I was able to forget everything in the E&E.

If you want to prep for law school:

(arguably) read Getting to Maybe
(arguably) read LSC
Get a single page version of your resume polished and ready to go for the applications you will send out on December first
Get practice writing cover letters.. and perhaps research some of the firms you will apply to on December first

DON'T try to "study ahead"- not merely because it won't help, but because it has the potential to harm.

Edit: By the way, this post is brought to you by a 1L who is top 3%. I'm not trying to claim that what I say is the gospel, but it certainly has the benefit of foresight.

The general gist of the book is fairly accurate.  I read some of the E&E's recommended by him, just to familiarize myself with terms, and I did well last semester.  I do, however, agree that reading past a certain limit will not help much. 

I am the Lorax

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 07:54:02 PM »
It really won't help you.  I would read "Law School for Dummies" and "Law School Confidential" to give you a general idea of what to expect, but I did that and my law school does this totally differently from others--we basically teach all our courses backwards so it may not help you at all.

Don't study anything substantive.  Professors each emphasize different things and approach topics differently.  

Also, don't embrace being a gunner.  No one likes gunners.  Gunners have no friends.  And having no friends is suicidal in law school, because you will want people to study with/share materials/take notes when you're sick.