Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FSU or Stetson? ... or UF...  (Read 1551 times)

amandaisright

• View Profile
FSU or Stetson? ... or UF...
« on: April 22, 2009, 01:18:28 AM »
What do you think about the differences between FSU and Stetson? I've heard wonderful things about both, and I liked both campuses when I visited. UF is also an option, but I really don't like Gainesville- everyone is so rude (in my experience), among other reasons. So really I'm choosing between FSU and Stetson (unless everyone on here thinks that UF is worth sucking it up and being unhappy with where I live). Is the Stetson name worth a cost of about 3 times what FSU will be?

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.  :)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: FSU or Stetson? ... or UF...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 02:29:19 AM »
FSU, especially if no huge scholarship from Stetson. Stetson is generally regarded as the 4th best law school in Florida, well below FSU, Miami, and UF, but well above the rest. Suffice to say, it's not worth paying more to go to Stetson if you have FSU on the board.

UF would be fine as well.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

jerry292

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 06:47:01 PM »
I'm in the same boat as you are trying to decide where in Florida to go.

Im not a fan of U of Miami. They do have a good alumni network down there. But the school is VERY expensive. It's like #35k a year. And lately I havnt heard too many good things about the school.

UF is going to be the top school despite it's snobbish culture. And its alumni network is state-wide. Also being a state school, it won't completely destroy your wallet.

Dont know a whole lot about FSU. Its been a very long time since Ive been up in Tallahassee. But I havnt heard anything bad about the school.

Stetson isnt bad. Its going to be lower-end tier 2 overall. But they were ranked a few years ago #1 in trial advocacy and #6 in legal writing. They also have a few different dual programs.

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 02:50:43 PM »
In state tuition at FSU and UF is ridiculously hard to turn down. One year at my school is more than tuition for 3 years at either school. I guess Stetson is cheaper that most private law schools, but both UF and FSU are 1) cheaper and 2) have a better reputation. I think this is a no brainer if you like FSU.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 06:30:08 PM »
You're an idiot if you're even considering Stetson over UF and FSU.

If I were you, I'll just endure Gainsville and go to UF for the prestige, better employment opportunity, and better name recognition for life.  But, I am not you and not sure how much you hate Gainsville.  If you hate it so much, no one is calling you an idiot for considering FSU.  But, you are an idiot for considering Stetson, UNLESS you got a full ride at Stetson AND you got a job line up in Tampa. 

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 07:11:28 PM »
I go to UF.  What's wrong with Gainesville?  Any school as big as UF is going to have all kinds of people.  Maybe you just had a bad experience.  Honestly, the cultures of Gainesville and Tallahassee aren't that different.  They're both small-big towns.

But, if you truly prefer Tallahassee, I think you should go with FSU over Stetson.  Stetson has a good reputation in Florida (I know a lot of people here are stuck on rankings, I don't care, it has a good rep locally), but the opportunities you will have if you go to FSU are unique and it is SOOO much cheaper than Stetson.  I almost went to FSU.  It's a great school.
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 08:18:32 PM »
As others stated, you probably should definitely choose FSU over Stetson, especially if it's cheaper.  It's the better school, and it will give you better options around the state. 

However, and I don't know this, but it probably also depends if you know precisely where you want to live.  If you want to live in the Tampa area, I'd imagine that Stetson does very well on its home turf (and you'd be able to network while there; this should not be underestimated).

As for Gainesville...how many people have you met here?  And in what capacity?  I ask this because it seems odd to make a statement that you don't like a city because the "people" are rude.  People are rude everywhere.  People commit crime anywhere.  Having lived in many places, though, I will concede that college towns are definitely more impersonal, like larger cities, but I wouldn't consider that "rude;" I'd just consider it different than most smaller towns.