Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USF, Idaho: Public Defender?  (Read 1300 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: USF, Idaho: Public Defender?
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 10:53:25 PM »
Public defender jobs are actually very competitive?  That blows my mind.  Certainly, the ones around where I live aren't.  The local district attorney once joked that "there's a reason they're called the 'lawyers of last resort.'"

Where do you live?  Public defender jobs in major cities are extremely competitive.
Mid-sized city in the Carolinas.  The two public defenders in the small town where I grew up (elsewhere) had awful reputations.  They both had degrees from "law schools of last resort," I think, too.
Again, I'm amazed to hear that it's different elsewhere, but you learn something every day, I guess.

Interesting.  Maybe I should start looking down there!

By the way, I was just curious, and I didn't mean to sound hostile at all.  I'm sorry if it came off that way. :)
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

SwampFox

• View Profile
Re: USF, Idaho: Public Defender?
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 12:31:50 PM »
I detected no hostility  :); I appreciate your courtesy in asking.

For my part, kudos to you folks for wanting to be public defenders.  It certainly has to be hard to work at such a thankless job knowing you're making a pittance of what you could earn.