Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD vs. California Western  (Read 690 times)

dan123456

• View Profile
USD vs. California Western
« on: April 21, 2009, 01:49:11 PM »
Is anyone else trying to decide between USD and Cal Western?  Thoughts on one verse the other? 

SocalCash

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: USD vs. California Western
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 05:10:16 PM »
USD

dreameca

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 07:24:33 PM »
USD unless western offers u a lot of scholarship

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 12:28:10 AM »
I chose Cal Western over USD 3 years ago when USD was at 65.  USD dropped to the 80's for two years and is now back up at 61.

I'd still pick Cal Western.  I was offered a scholarship and even back then I figured that it was better to graduate with less debt and have greater flexibility in what jobs I could take.

Here's kinda the ironic part of "scholarship v. prestige".

Prestige qualifies you for more jobs, but with loans, you're really economically limited.
Scholarships free you economically for more jobs, but with a TTTXYZ123 degree you're "qualifications" limited.

Some people say Only go to a low ranked school if you're sure you don't want BigLaw.  That's a fair assessment.  I looked at it a little differently, only go to the better law school for full tuition if you're sure you DO want BigLaw.

If you're like me and more interested in public sector work, then you've got a lot more flexibility.  Sure, at Cal Western you'll have to make yourself stand out, because your degree won't do it for you.  But San Diego is a pretty collegial place.  I haven't had any problems networking.  I've landed judicial externships, I've had job offers, and I'm in no way unique.

Lastly, check out both schools.  Where do you feel more comfortable?  Wherever you pick, you're stuck for the next three years.  Don't go to a place that will make you miserable.  Hope you wind up happy whichever school you pick.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 02:38:47 AM »
USD unless Cal Western gives you a huge scholarship.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 02:58:04 AM »
USD unless Cal Western gives you a huge scholarship.

CW would have to do more than a full scholy, like a $10M ocean-front home, 2 Mercedes, a Ferrari, a BMW, a standing offer at Latham and Watkins ($250K plus $50K and staggered bonuses for 10 years, 3 months vacation a year), $5M, Condo in Beverly Hills, full scholy to the B-school of my choice, full rides to Princeton for my kids, starring role in a movie opposite Halle Berry...90 day European vacation...

Then I MIGHT consider it.