Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Brooklyn's Incorrect US News Rankings  (Read 10035 times)

Viking Quest

• View Profile
Re: Brooklyn's Incorrect US News Rankings
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 07:40:53 PM »
Ok, explain this away all you want with unsupported theories that the numbers went up drastically this year, but
FACT:  Brooklyn has a part time program with more than 20 students admitted this year.
FACT:  US News purports to list all the schools with part-time programs with more than 20 students in its part time rankings
FACT:  Brooklyn is not listed as having a part time program.

So how does this fit into the rational explanations?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 07:56:35 PM »
Ok, explain this away all you want with unsupported theories that the numbers went up drastically this year, but
FACT:  Brooklyn has a part time program with more than 20 students admitted this year.
FACT:  US News purports to list all the schools with part-time programs with more than 20 students in its part time rankings

I think nobody really cares becuas they all want to go to Denver becuase its a top 10 school now. I know I do. I'm elite
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 08:01:17 PM »

I haven't seen the part-time rankings; I have no idea if Brooklyn is listed.  Do you have a copy of USNWR in front of you? Also, again, I'm not sure why you're so invested in this.  

FWIW, 159/164 to 162/165 is not exactly "drastic."

I think nobody really cares becuas they all want to go to Denver becuase its a top 10 school now. I know I do. I'm elite

lol.  For me, it was the candy profs who sealed the deal.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 08:04:12 PM »
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 08:19:45 PM »
PT ranks, note pay special attention to number nine http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/part-time-law

:D  Number nine looks great!

Brooklyn is indeed missing.  There must be some kind of clerical error.  The USNWR editors are clearly aware that Brooklyn has a part-time program (e.g., http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/items/03102, listing the number of part-time students).

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 08:20:15 PM »
They include information (tuition cost, application fee) about the part time program for Brooklyn, so USNWR clearly knows that the part time program exists. I can't imagine that they somehow manages to pull the wool over USNWR's eyes with respect to the numbers for the PT program. It's far more likely some error or other explainable reason on USNWR's part.

And Miss P is correct that that is not a drastic change in numbers

ETA: Damn it! Beat by P!

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 08:21:44 PM »
Ok all fun and games aside, US News says it ranked 87 part-time law schools this year see generally http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/part-time-law

Yet they only actually list 85 see generally   http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/part-time-law

So two schools, Brooklyn and one other are missing. Rather than it being an evil plot by Brooklynís law school administrators to cheat the system, could it not, possibility, just be a mistake on USNEWS part by forgetting to plug the data in for two schools? I mean itís not like they have not made coding mistake sin the past, like last year when they ranked T3 and T4 schools by accident.

I know this theory is not as fun as bashing Broklyn, but hey I'm puting out there like my moon land seniero

BTW if it is a msitake and they fix it and you bump me out of top 10 I'm going to be really POed

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 08:27:22 PM »

Especially given the fact that the admissions office was aware of the coming change in rankings and had both motive and means to improve the numbers.  (Also, fwiw, last year, BLS underestimated yield among high-index students and ended up giving out much more merit scholarship money than it had planned.  This likely led to higher numbers as well.)

p.s. Good catch, Matthies.  And I strongly doubt we would be able to bump you.  I'm sure we'd be somewhere right behind Cardozo.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 08:30:57 PM »

p.s. Good catch, Matthies.  And I strongly doubt we would be able to bump you.  I'm sure we'd be somewhere right behind Cardozo.

<--- is smart/goes to top 10 school

Viking Quest

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 08:59:43 AM »
>>>Also, again, I'm not sure why you're so invested in this. 

Brooklyn Law School ate my baby. 

Brooklyn's own website puts its data as "for the entering class of 2008" -- which is the current year and the same one used by US News.   If there is a rational explanation, I assume the Deans who had been contacted by lawschoolheadlines.com would have responded by now with one.

Now I can understand why the Madoff Ponzi scheme survived for so long in the face of so much evidence to doubt it over the years.