Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Commuting..  (Read 2702 times)

lawness

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Commuting..
« on: April 20, 2009, 11:46:19 AM »
So, my LS is about an hour and fifteen away from my house. I am going to commute for a while and see how that goes. Does anyone have any recommendations for relevant listening material for the ride? Can I record the lectures and then play them back in the car? Are there any law school books on tape?

Trust me, I do not want to commute but I have a wife and a mortgage, so I cannot just get up and move. If it becomes too much I will have to rent a room during school. However, how many people do we know who commute an hour to work everyday? What's the difference? [rationalization]

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Commuting..
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 11:55:18 AM »
So, my LS is about an hour and fifteen away from my house. I am going to commute for a while and see how that goes. Does anyone have any recommendations for relevant listening material for the ride? Can I record the lectures and then play them back in the car? Are there any law school books on tape?

Trust me, I do not want to commute but I have a wife and a mortgage, so I cannot just get up and move. If it becomes too much I will have to rent a room during school. However, how many people do we know who commute an hour to work everyday? What's the difference? [rationalization]

I have several classmates who commute at least an hour each way, plus work fulltime (we are part-time 1 less class than FT) and have families. It can be done. You just need to be a great time manager. Iím studying for the bar right now and I have found the PMBR CDís to be great reviews. They say on them they are for both bar and 1L classes. They go over the basic black letter laws without much fluff. I bet you can find used copies out there. The older ones on CD cover more subjects then the newer ones on MP3. But either would be great to listen to, to back up what youíre learning in class. There is also a Sum and Substance CD series which is just lectures by great professors, not near as helpful as PMBR (at least for me, if everything was new again they might be I donít know). Check barristerbooks.com for their audio offerings, pick law student, then subject, then go down to audio and they will list what they have for each subject.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

jsb221

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 12:17:26 PM »
I commute an hour each way and agree with Matthies that it can be done.
But I wouldn't recommend listening to anything law related. Take the time to unwind and do anything but worry about law school. I sometimes would try to take the most scenic route I could home, just to get away. It was a nice break.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 07:23:52 PM »
I really liked the Glannon CDs on Civil Procedure.  I wish I would've listened to them throughout the semester, rather than just as a cramming aid for finals. http://www.amazon.com/Aspen-Audio-Guide-Civil-Procedure/dp/0735572380

I've heard of the "Law School Legends Audio Series" CDs, but don't have personal experience with them.

The people I've known with similar commutes tended to do pretty well in school.  Forces you to have mad time managing skillz.
Fed gov't atty

lawness

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 07:31:21 AM »
Well that's refreshing. I was getting worried that it was near impossible to commute your first year. I guess I want something to listen to law related because I will be losing 3 hours of studying time a day because of the drive. I do have great time management skills, so hopefully everything will work out.

Thanks for all the audio tips!

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
I hope you drive something fuel-efficient, because that seems like it'll be a lot of money on gas. 
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 09:24:25 AM »
It's more productive to listen to music than lectures..

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 09:45:04 AM »
http://www.audible.com

"The Nine" was a great listen.

Loved Arthur Miller's Civ Pro lectures too.
CLS 2011

lawness

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 12:51:02 PM »
My car is not the greatest on gas, which is another factor in deciding if it is worth it to just rent a room during the weekdays.

Would it just confuse me to listen to random law lectures in the middle of the semester?

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 11:50:57 PM »
Listen to NIN.  Things Falling Apart, All That Could Have Been, The Fragile, and With Teeth are all excellent albums.  Great for a combination of blaring and meditation.
_______
.|E|R|S.