Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WTF Rankings  (Read 7822 times)

kimber1028

• View Profile
Re: WTF Rankings
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 02:57:04 PM »
idk why anyone would question the legitimacy, because its in a magazine. the other thread that has it on a sheet of paper looks suspect, but this looks spot on! Especially with the new ranking for part-time, how would it not be real? no one is that good.

It's also been determined that the sheet posted two or three days ago on TLS was legit, as far as the numbers go... it is thought to have been a early mock-up of the article.
University of Oregon 2012

BigEast5

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 02:59:54 PM »
Why is University of Maine ranked in the top 100 then also in the tier 3??

kimber1028

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 03:01:21 PM »
Why is University of Maine ranked in the top 100 then also in the tier 3??

Apparently they always do that with the #100 schools. Someone on TLS checked it out in last year's magazine.
University of Oregon 2012

TJCCARDCO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 03:27:39 PM »
Everyone is so skeptical over something that really isn't that important until you graduate from law school. It seems to me that if a school in the top 50 is making great strides, the jump of 13 spots of the one school (name escapes me at current moment, bc im typing a paper) to #23 proves that they really dont matter all that much if the school doesn't keep pushing to be the best.

YouShouldFeelPrivileged

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cornell University Law School Class of 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 03:43:19 PM »
Everyone is so skeptical over something that really isn't that important until you graduate from law school. It seems to me that if a school in the top 50 is making great strides, the jump of 13 spots of the one school (name escapes me at current moment, bc im typing a paper) to #23 proves that they really dont matter all that much if the school doesn't keep pushing to be the best.

It might affect someone who just chose a particular school b/c of it's rank to see that it has fallen out of T30, T50 or whatever.  Not that making a decision based entirely on rank is too smart to begin with, and such individuals may deserve their present misery  ???
If I had known my next breath would be my last, I would have held it longer...

Manwithaplan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 05:50:54 PM »
USD went up 21 spots from #82 to #61. Talk about a killer leap.

USD was 65 in 2006, getting back to 61 isn't really a leap because it is just back in the spot it was 3 years ago
USD Law grad

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 10:08:54 PM »
Just figured I'd make a thread where people can comment on who got pwned and what not in the leaked 2010 rankings...

My take:
IU-B = WTF?  I visited and it did not strike me as poised for a +13 rankings jump  :-\
GW = pwned

What say you?

I think IU-B's jump has a lot to do with the number of apps received last year. I think they sent fee waivers to damn near everyone and a lot of people, myself included, that otherwise had no interest in IU-B said "why not?"

The only two communications I ever received from them in the 5 months my application was pending (I finally withdrew without ever receiving any sort of decision) were an email and postcard that both basically said sorry for taking so long, but we had a ton more apps than we were anticipating.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 10:09:59 PM »
If this is legit,  CU-Boulder falling 13 spots is pretty big.

The CU system is dying and I think a good number of people "in the know" realize that and it's negatively impacting their rep.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 11:05:58 PM »
USD went up 21 spots from #82 to #61. Talk about a killer leap.

USD was 65 in 2006, getting back to 61 isn't really a leap because it is just back in the spot it was 3 years ago

I remember when USD dropped from 65 to 85 and the students nearly rioted against Admin.

iamluke20

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 10:08:58 AM »
idk why anyone would question the legitimacy, because its in a magazine. the other thread that has it on a sheet of paper looks suspect, but this looks spot on! Especially with the new ranking for part-time, how would it not be real? no one is that good.

Yeah everything on the internet that looks real probably is....

I do think this is probably real, for the record.