Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Albany ($$$) vs. Seattle U. ($)  (Read 984 times)

blergh

• View Profile
Albany ($$$) vs. Seattle U. ($)
« on: April 19, 2009, 10:08:31 PM »
I've been accepted to both, Albany with a 3/4 tuition scholarship and with that I was able to leverage a small scholarship to Seattle U.  I am really having difficulty with deciding on where to go (I'm from the South, so I'm not exactly close to either law school)

Seattle is ranked slightly higher but I've seen a lot of people on these message boards voting to go for lower ranked schools for smaller debt.  I'd LOVE to have as little debt possible, but I am just wondering if you come from a lower ranked school, wouldn't it be much harder to find a job?

I am also currently waitlisted at a few other upper T2 schools, but I'd love any input.  Thanks!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Albany ($$$) vs. Seattle U. ($)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 12:51:51 AM »
I'd say pick whichever one is in the area you'd prefer to practice in. The rankings difference will matter little if at all, especially compared to the location difference.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 02:50:54 PM »
i agree about the difference in rankings, it is my understanding that both schools generally place well locally.  that said, i don't know about seattle university, but i don't think albany law degrees carry out of the market very well.  this doesn't mean that no grads work outside of the area, but you should definitely take a good hard look at where students work after graduation.  i say this to you because the city of albany sucks and if you are from the south, you need to seriously consider if you can handle living in a place like that for a long period of time.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 02:37:36 AM »
SU is an excellent school, but doesn't place people well out-of-market for some reason. By all accounts, the classroom experience is great and the lawyers are very well prepared. Seattle Magazine has highlighted many SULaw grads, some of who are among the best attorneys the city has to offer.

blergh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 12:30:46 AM »
Thank you all for your replies.  It's helped a lot!

I'm not quite sure where I want to end up city-wise, and I don't exactly have the funding to travel both places just to check it out.  Does anyone know the crime rate/ etc for both cities? 

20caliguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 05:06:09 PM »
For crime rate stats check out www.city-data.com. I have never been to Albany but Seattle is beautiful!

SwampFox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 08:49:10 PM »
I know a couple of Albany grads very well, and neither one had an easy time finding work, even a couple of years before the recession started.  They both graduated with good class ranks, too.

clark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 08:57:02 PM »
I've been accepted to both, Albany with a 3/4 tuition scholarship and with that I was able to leverage a small scholarship to Seattle U.  I am really having difficulty with deciding on where to go (I'm from the South, so I'm not exactly close to either law school)

Seattle is ranked slightly higher but I've seen a lot of people on these message boards voting to go for lower ranked schools for smaller debt.  I'd LOVE to have as little debt possible, but I am just wondering if you come from a lower ranked school, wouldn't it be much harder to find a job?

I am also currently waitlisted at a few other upper T2 schools, but I'd love any input.  Thanks!

Unless you really want to practice in Seattle, go to Albany.  The less debt you have, the more options you'll have when you graduate.  Law school rankings outside of the top 20-30 don't really matter anyways.  Honestly, out of either school, (and I know SU well) your likely options are going to be small firms and government jobs in the school's vicinity.  Bottom line - minimize your debt and choose the school where you want to practice.

Markro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 05:49:03 PM »
I was born and raised in Albany and the surrounding area. I attended law school in the State of Washington, practiced for a short time in Albany and now practice in Seattle. There is no comparison between the cities. Albany is a government town (I worked as a state government attorney), and unless you are enamored with government work or love staid upstate New York, I would not advise attending Albany Law School. There is simply not a lot of opportunity in upstate New York, and I imagine finding a job in private practice after graduating from Albany Law will be difficult in the upstate area.

Seattle is a beautiful port city, surrounded by water with a progressive culture. Although the economy is poor now, it is better than most of the country. Seattle U will not travel well, but it is respected in the Pacific Northwest. Seattle U has a very large alumni base in Seattle, the law school is minutes from the downtown financial district and many Seattle firms contain Seattle U grads. The local legal market is presently poor, but being a graduate of Seattle U will not be a detriment. I currently work in a mid-sized firm (approximately 30 attorneys), and a majority of the attorneys are Seattle U grads.

You need to spend the money and visit Albany and Seattle. The choice will be obvious after you explore the areas.