Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Start studying for June LSAT now?  (Read 1769 times)

yotam

• View Profile
Start studying for June LSAT now?
« on: April 19, 2009, 12:47:29 PM »
Hi all,

I wanted to get some thoughts from those of you who have been in the thick of things for longer than I have. I'm considering taking the June 8 LSAT and beginning my preparation this week. I realize that there isn't much time, but I will have very few other commitments until then and I'll be able to devote the majority of my time to studying. This way, if I don't like my score I'll also have a chance to retake in September before applying in the fall. I plan to self-study using the Powerscore bibles and real LSATs.

Stats: I took the June 2007 LSAT available on the LSAC web site last week cold and using real timing and and got a 162. I have a 3.66/4.00 undergrad GPA from an Ivy (major: political science) and graduated in 2008. I would like to be able to attend NYU/Columbia (ideally) or other top-tier schools, which I'm assuming means I need around a 170 on the LSAT.

Is this possible in the next seven weeks? Thoughts? Thanks!

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Start studying for June LSAT now?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 12:55:51 PM »
170 in seven weeks? What was your diagnostic score?

Normally I would say try to take at least 3-4 months for prep. The LSAT isn't a test you're going to want to take on a whim, or retake, unless you really must.

EDIT:

I must have skimmed past the sentence containing your 162 diagnostic.

Still, I would say 7 weeks is too little time to become fully familiar with the LSAT. But, with a 162 diagnostic a 170 is wholly possible with due diligence and concentrated prep. Good Luck.

yotam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 12:58:42 PM »
My diagnostic was a 162.

Yeah, I realize the LSAT is a difficult test to prep for. I wouldn't try to do this except that I have these weeks with very little else to do and could devote myself full-time to cramming...

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 01:00:38 PM »
My diagnostic was a 162.

Yeah, I realize the LSAT is a difficult test to prep for. I wouldn't try to do this except that I have these weeks with very little else to do and could devote myself full-time to cramming...

Keyword = cramming.

Yeah, you're going to want to avoid "cramming."

The point of LSAT prep is to obtain a sufficient level of familiarity and comfort with the test, not to cram. This isn't a test of your knowledge. If you feel that 7 weeks is enough time to become comfortable/familiar with the LSAT, then go for it. Cancel if you don't feel prepared though.

yotam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 09:42:22 PM »
Fair enough. Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to go ahead and acquire those books and take a look, see what's necessary. Maybe postpone until September.

LividWolverine

• Come back later... I'm busy hailing to myself.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - VictrixAbHinc
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 10:34:16 PM »
Basically same boat here... I figure if I put 5 hours minimum per day, that's 200 hours at the very minimum.
Breaks your heart, doesn't it? Take a salt tablet.

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 11:54:10 PM »
just a note: be prepared to see a 5 point drop off your highest prep scores on test day...

if you're not consistently at least that much above where you actually want to score on the real thing, then consider hold off on the real thing in june...

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 12:09:55 AM »
If you're disciplined, it can be done. In fact, you might have a funner time when the test rolls around b/c you are more amped-up and used to focusing more. Certainly, your endurance will be up to par if you're doing 5 hours per day instead of two or three. With a 162 diagnostic, a 170 in seven weeks is NOT out of the question. People have done more with less time.

she____atomizes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 01:00:17 AM »
is it true that if you take the lsat more than once than both scores are averaged together?

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 01:12:23 AM »
is it true that if you take the lsat more than once than both scores are averaged together?

Not necessarily. In fact, most schools will take the highest score, even if you only improve by a few points. NYU, UW-Seattle and a couple of others are still doing it the old way, but they take it case-by-case.