Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Akron (free) vs Notre Dame (not free)  (Read 1544 times)

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Akron (free) vs Notre Dame (not free)
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 10:13:40 PM »
It probably depends a bit on what you mean by "do IP" but in general, the additional opportunities and pay a typical ND student would get would make the marginal increase in cost an extremely good investment.

Also, as you make the comparison, don't look at it as free vs 100k when that 100k includes general living expenses (which I assume aren't covered in the A scholarship). It sounds like the additional cost of attending ND over attending A is much less, perhaps closer to 16k/yr. If you count the difference between what you could make at summer jobs from ND vs A that alone could easily be more than 16k a semester. Lets say you do a firm job 2L year, that's $30k or better, chances of a (big) firm job from A are probably not very good. I've friends at better ranked schools (for whatever rankings are worth) working hard to get $12/hr jobs, some for unpaid apprenticeships as 2L's (not talking about public interest stuff here either) while folks at higher ranked schools often have a choice of several $3k/week firm jobs. That could offset a lot of the additional tuition $$ if you chose that route (note, I don't know what the firm-job rate is at ND, but I'd guess its pretty good).

Anyhow, visit and see what you think of the place. I've never actually been on campus but I had lunch with a ND law professor once and he seemed really friendly, smart and overall a great guy. All the ND college folks I know are fiercely loyal to the school and absolutely insist its the best place in the world:)

HLS 2010

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 07:03:02 PM »
Notre Dame 100 times over.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 07:33:08 PM »
Notre Dame.

Regardless of USNWR rankings, the employment prospects are too different considering the minor cost difference (I'm guessing about $50K difference between Akron full ride and ND 1/2 tuition).  Notre Dame places almost 30% of the class in NLJ 250 firms whereas Akron places about 5%.  Even if biglaw is not your goal, these numbers show that ND's employment prospects are much better.  http://www.law.com/img/nlj/charts/composite.pdf

Further, ND had about 4.5% of its students land USCOA clerkships for the 2009 term (12th highest school for percentage of class).  Akron had zero.  Although this stat is not extremely useful (your chances of getting a USCOA out of ND are still not very good), it's a good indicator of each school's reputation.   http://lawclerkaddict2009.blogspot.com/.

And, just in case you're still considering Akron: what are the requirements at each school to keep the scholarships?  Last I heard, Akron had pretty high requirements.

OhioUTOD

• Notre Dame Law Class of 2012
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 01:24:39 AM »
And, just in case you're still considering Akron: what are the requirements at each school to keep the scholarships?  Last I heard, Akron had pretty high requirements.

This is true. Akron's renewal standards are ridiculously high--a 3.3 cum. GPA is required to retain the full scholarship for each additional year. To my uninitiated brain, that didn't sound too terrible at first, but A's literature lists that as ~90th percentile. I am going to venture out on a limb and risk sounding a braggart by saying I had hoped to fall at the top 10% of A's class, but it will be nice to not have that additional pressure.

In the last several days, it's become clearer to me that this isn't even really a decision. Not only are ND's employment prospects much better (which, honestly, I will take any advantage I can get in the current market), BUT ALSO--attending ND at any level has always been a pipe dream of mine. It wasn't possible for undergrad (I was too uninvolved in HS despite good scores/grades), and honestly, I hadn't thought it possible for law, either. (167 LSAT but a low ugpa of 3.4--I guess my PS was kick-ass?)

Now that I've gotten past the initial accept-notice shock, I've highly warmed to the idea of attending. I do believe I'm going to call their admissions dept tomorrow and have a chat with them.

Not sure if this is the best way to continue asking advice, but I'd rather not start a new thread--anyone have any advice for coming up with $35,000/year?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 01:39:24 AM »

This is true. Akron's renewal standards are ridiculously high--a 3.3 cum. GPA is required to retain the full scholarship for each additional year. To my uninitiated brain, that didn't sound too terrible at first, but A's literature lists that as ~90th percentile. I am going to venture out on a limb and risk sounding a braggart by saying I had hoped to fall at the top 10% of A's class, but it will be nice to not have that additional pressure.

In the last several days, it's become clearer to me that this isn't even really a decision. Not only are ND's employment prospects much better (which, honestly, I will take any advantage I can get in the current market), BUT ALSO--attending ND at any level has always been a pipe dream of mine. It wasn't possible for undergrad (I was too uninvolved in HS despite good scores/grades), and honestly, I hadn't thought it possible for law, either. (167 LSAT but a low ugpa of 3.4--I guess my PS was kick-ass?)

Now that I've gotten past the initial accept-notice shock, I've highly warmed to the idea of attending. I do believe I'm going to call their admissions dept tomorrow and have a chat with them.

Not sure if this is the best way to continue asking advice, but I'd rather not start a new thread--anyone have any advice for coming up with $35,000/year?

You're making a sound decision that you won't regret.

As to the money, loans out the ass barring a loaded relative.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

zippyandzap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 10:52:50 AM »
Notre Dame.  If it was sticker than there'd be question.  Also, if you get a firm job your 2nd summer, you won't be 100k in debt.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 02:09:39 AM »
Are u serious? I mean...is this a real question? Akron would have to offer me a home in the Hamptons next door to Diddy and Donald Trump, two Bentleys, A Farrari, a condo in Beverly Hills, $50M and promise me that I'd die and come back to life as Beyonce's baby...no!...as Jay-Z!, before I'd consider passing on Notre Dame.