Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Akron (free) vs Notre Dame (not free)  (Read 1580 times)

OhioUTOD

• Notre Dame Law Class of 2012
    • View Profile
    • Email
Akron (free) vs Notre Dame (not free)
« on: April 17, 2009, 05:37:51 PM »
I come to this forum seeking advice. Here's my scenario:

I live in Ohio, and enjoy the thought of attending school at least in the same region as my home. I'm interested in IP law.

Two months ago, I received a full-tuition scholarship to University of Akron's law school. Yes, they are T3. But, they also: have the best bar pass rate in the state of Ohio currently; and have a fairly well-known IP program. Given that the cost of my education there would be FREE, I accepted the scholarship and paid my seat deposit.

Three months ago, I received an app fee waiver from Notre Dame. I've always loved the idea of attending ND, undergrad or grad, so I applied, and essentially forgot about it, given the scholarship info I received from Akron. However, I got a shock this morning when I received notice of my acceptance at ND with an accompanying half-tuition (approx.) scholarship.

I've already arranged a campus visit for next Friday at ND, but I'm just unsure about everything now. I would LOVE to attend ND, but, in your (hopefully non-elitist) opinions, is the ~$100,000 of debt I'd incur worth it? An ND degree would certainly better my career chances, but the debt load sounds...oppressive.

Thoughts?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Akron (free) vs ND (not free)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 05:41:07 PM »
Whenevr I read ND in relation to law schools I allways think North Dakota first, rather than Notre Dame, don't know why, but I do, just saying there is more than one ND.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Akron (free) vs Notre Dame (not free)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 06:21:41 PM »
I would absolutely take Notre Dame. With half tuition and the col in south bend as cheap as it is I think it's a very good investment. ND's name will carry well in Ohio if you decide to return home. ND has national name rec and it has a famously loyal alumni base. Take their offer.

SamE397

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 06:40:03 PM »
I'm a little confused is Notre Dame only offering you the scholarship for the first year. How do you figure it's going to cost you 100k more?

OhioUTOD

• Notre Dame Law Class of 2012
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 06:52:52 PM »
I'm a little confused is Notre Dame only offering you the scholarship for the first year. How do you figure it's going to cost you 100k more?

No, the offer's $16,000/year, renewable for 3 years.

Notre Dame's student budget (tuition/fees + COL + misc. expenses), as listed on their Web site, is about $50,000/year. Taking away $16,000 leaves me $34,000/year to come up with on my own. Over three years, that's $102,000.

At Akron, I would still have to come up with money on my own, but the amount would be greatly reduced, perhaps $14,000/year.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 06:57:47 PM »
Notre Dame

SamE397

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 07:11:18 PM »

No, the offer's $16,000/year, renewable for 3 years.

Notre Dame's student budget (tuition/fees + COL + misc. expenses), as listed on their Web site, is about $50,000/year. Taking away $16,000 leaves me $34,000/year to come up with on my own. Over three years, that's $102,000.

At Akron, I would still have to come up with money on my own, but the amount would be greatly reduced, perhaps $14,000/year.
Sorry when you said cost I took that to mean marginal cost which is obviously not what you meant

menlow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 07:21:09 PM »
If you would be so kind as to lend me your identity, I will go to Notre Dame on half scholarship.

Crimson:devil(red)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 07:53:21 PM »
Notre Dame for reasons already stated.
Tulane Law School Class of 2012

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/crimsondevilred

YouShouldFeelPrivileged

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cornell University Law School Class of 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 08:12:27 PM »
ND

And I don't mean North Dakota  ;)

P.S.
I am an Ohian too! & Notre Dame dinged me  :(  so you should go for the both of us, lol
If I had known my next breath would be my last, I would have held it longer...